Program for bivariate distribution for f(x, y) = 1/pi where x^2 + y^2 = 1

New Contributor

Program for bivariate distribution for f(x, y) = 1/pi where x^2 + y^2 = 1

[ Edited ]

(a) [10] Write a program to draw 100,000 observations from the following bivariate distribution which is uniform over a unit circle. f(x, y) = 1/ℼ where x2 + y2 < 1

(b) [10] Draw the bivariate histogram for x and y. (c) [10] Draw the (marginal) histogram for x .

I've tried transforming x and y so that they vary between (-1,1) and then using the Do while loop so that x2 + y2< 1. Still new to SAS so any would be great.

This is my code so far:

data test; Do i=1 to 10000; Do While x^2 + b^2 <1; x=2*ranuni(111)-1; y=2*ranuni(111)-1; z= x^2 + b^2 <1; end; output; end; run; ods graphics on; proc bivariatete data=test; var x; var y; var z; histogram z; run; ods graphics off;

Super User

Re: Program for bivariate distribution for f(x, y) = 1/pi where x^2 + y^2 = 1

[ Edited ]

This is invalid:

x^2

In SAS, the correct operator is **

x**2

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/69852/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p00iah2thp63bmn1lt20...

For the histogram, use PROC UNIVARIATE or PROC SGPLOT.

PS. You have a lot of other errors in your code. I would suggest doing one step at a time, getting that working and then moving forward. Look at Rick Wicklin blog or book for informaiton on how to simulate data in SAS. If you're a student, since this is clearly homework, your university library may have a digital version available for you to peruse.

New Contributor

Thank you, I've gotten both x and y to vary between (-1,1), I'm still struggling to restrict it so that x^2 + y^2 <1 and output that data. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!
Super User

It is about data simulation, better post it at IML forum.

what doest f(x,y) looks like,what is its form ?

Super User

SAS Super FREQ

In addition to the excellent responses from @Reeza and @Ksharp, use PROC KDE to draw the bivariate histogram. The BIVAR statement and PLOTS=HISTOGRAM are what you want to use.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation