BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LuigiRicc
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm a student. I need an help.

I'm trying to import a file from in SAS, but i need that SAS check if inside the folder in my desktop there is a file that starts with HELLO_.

This because i have the file called HELLO_PROXIMA, but i have to let the choice to another student to change the second word of the file. I can use the MACRO or everything else, but i'm stack and i don't know what to do.

thank you

11 REPLIES 11
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

You can use x-commands to find all the files that are in a folder. http://support.sas.com/kb/45/805.html

If you don't have access to run x-commands then something like this will work

FILENAME _folder_ "%bquote(<your path>)";
data filenames(keep=memname);
  handle=dopen( '_folder_' );
  if handle > 0 then do;
    count=dnum(handle);
    do i=1 to count;
      memname=dread(handle,i);
      output filenames;
    end;
  end;
  rc=dclose(handle);
run;
filename _folder_ clear;
Thanks,
Suryakiran
LuigiRicc
Calcite | Level 5
i used this:

FILENAME _folder_ "%bquote(<your path>)";
data filenames(keep=memname);
handle=dopen( '_folder_' );
if handle > 0 then do;
count=dnum(handle);
do i=1 to count;
memname=dread(handle,i);
output filenames;
end;
end;
rc=dclose(handle);
run;
filename _folder_ clear;

now i have my filenames with the list of everithing is inside my folder. How can i insert one of it inside a %LET option?
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14
/* Instead of %let use INTO: in proc sql */

PROC SQL noprint;
SELECT memname INTO: File
FROM filenames
/* Add where clause here to get only one file you have */
;
QUIT;

/* If you have multiple file to add */ 

PROC SQL noprint;
SELECT memname INTO: Files separated by ','
FROM filenames
/* Add where clause here to get all files you have */
;
QUIT;

/* Then with a macro you can import all files */
%MACRO IMPORT_FILES();
%DO I=1 %TO %sysfunc(countw("&Files"));
%LET File=%SCAN("&Files",&i,",");
proc import 
  datafile="/usr/apps/sasdata/&File."
  dbms=xlsx 
  out=TASK&i. 
  replace;
RUN;
%END;
%MEND IMPORT_FILES;
%IMPORT_FILES();
Thanks,
Suryakiran
Reeza
Super User

Is it only one file? Can you have more than one?

SAS supports wildcards in the filename but then it will read all files that matches the criteria.

To use a wildcard, use the asterisk in the filename.

data want;
infile '/folders/myfolders/demo_*.txt' dlm=',' dsd truncover;
input name $ age weight height;
run;
ballardw
Super User

Will there be more than one file in the source the folder that starts with "HELLO_"? If there are multiple files then you will need to provide additional information. If there were exactly one file you could use a wild card such as

proc import datafile="C:\path\HELLO_*.csv" 

<remaining proc import statements>

or what ever type filename extension you use.

But Proc if you have multiple files like HELLO_PROXIMA and HELLO_ULTIMA in the same folder that won't work.

If your "other student" uses a different character after the _ you might be able to use this approach with

proc import datafile="C:\path\HELLO_U*.csv"    assuming that other student used a name that starts with HELLO_U.

There are possibly other solutions such as reading a directory listing of the folder of selecting a file with a date or other characteristic but that is likely to have other potential pitfalls.

One thing to learn in the analysis or data interchange world is data transfer needs to have some rules. One of which might be file naming. For instance if you have multiple students that will be involved each should a specified string and not just let them create anything to place after the _. Consider that similar to your bank changing your account number without telling you and expecting you tell them what the account is for a withdrawal or deposit.

LuigiRicc
Calcite | Level 5
I have to look into the folder where everyday my .csv file called HELLO_PROXIMA will be change with the same file that will be call HELLO_???. Everytime that the file will be renamed the same programme should import the last file.

Thank you for the answer
Reeza
Super User

Will it be the only file with Hello_?

If not, how do you know which one to import?

@LuigiRicc wrote:
I have to look into the folder where everyday my .csv file called HELLO_PROXIMA will be change with the same file that will be call HELLO_???. Everytime that the file will be renamed the same programme should import the last file.

Thank you for the answer

LuigiRicc
Calcite | Level 5
There Will be just one file per time inside the folder
Reeza
Super User
Then use the wildcard approach. SAS does not require you to provide the full name, providing the prefix with the asterisks is fine. There are two examples above in previous answers.
LuigiRicc
Calcite | Level 5

There will be only one file per time

Thank you for your answer
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@LuigiRicc wrote:

There will be only one file per time

Thank you for your answer

This question - importing the newest file in a directory - has be asked and answered so many times, that you will be able to solve your issue by using the search facility of this board.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation