BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gstratis
Fluorite | Level 6

Good Morning to everyone,

I have been carrying out PCA on my data in order to reduce the dimensionality and I have concluded to extract 2 Principal Components which explain 85% of the variation in the data set.

My question is, is there a way which I can model these two PC's with my response variable?

Thank you in advance,

George

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Use Partial Least Squares. Do not use the Principal Components for modeling a Y variable.

Why?

PLS extracts components that are as predictive as possible of the Y variable, given the constraint that the components are perpendicular to each other. PCA extracts components which are perpendicular to each other, that ignore the Y variable and so may not be predictive at all.

--
Paige Miller
gstratis
Fluorite | Level 6

Yeah I know that but my task is to compare the models extracted by each method (Principal Components Regression and Partial Least Squares Regression), so both have to be done.

Regards,

George

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@gstratis wrote:

My question is, is there a way which I can model these two PC's with my response variable?

Didn't you address this in your other thread? You were running PROC PLS with the PCR method selected.

--
Paige Miller
gstratis
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes I did,

I was just wondering if there is another way of doing it so I could verify me results.

Regards,

George

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You save the PCA scores, then use these scores as the X-variables in your regression.

I was just wondering if there is another way of doing it so I could verify me results.

You are implying that the results of PROC PLS with the PCR option need to be verified somehow?? I'm not aware of any such need to verify that PROC PLS is giving the right results, it seems to me that SAS has done that already so you don't have to.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation