Point= and STOP statement confusion?

Frequent Contributor

Point= and STOP statement confusion?

Hi, Can anybody explain why the below code does not need a STOP statement and how it manages to detect the end of file?

data a;
set sashelp.class(rename=(name=name1 age=age1 sex=gender height=ht1 weight=wt1));
run;

data w;
set sashelp.class;
do i=1 to nobs by 3;
set a point=i nobs= nobs;
output;
end;
run;

The code works fine, but i am not understanding how does it do without a STOP statement..The  SAS documentation says STOP is a must when we use point= option though. Also, why is my index variable I not written to the output dataset w? I never explicitly dropped it with drop= or drop statement?

Super User

Re: Point= and STOP statement confusion?

This data step executes the do loop completely for every observation in sashelp.class and ends when EOF of sashelp.class is reached.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super Contributor

If you have added STOP, you would have got 7 observations. Since there is no STOP it goes on 19 times --- the number of observations in SASHELP.CLASS -- and after finding the EOF in that dataset, Data Step default action stop the iteration. So your output data sets gets 19 times 7 observations (133 observations).

The variable I need no drop because, any variable used to point to POINTER =, will not  go to the Program Data Vector and hence does not appear in the output data set.

Super User
Super User

The data step stops when it reads past the end of SASHELP.CLASS in the second statement.

Variables defined by POINT= and NOBS= (and other similar options) are NOT written to the output dataset.

Super User

To understand the answer, you have to understand how this DATA step stops:

data w;

set sashelp.class;

run;

You might see more information that would help if you added some diagnostic messages:

data w;

put "Before:  " _all_;

set sashelp.class;

put "After:  " _all_;

run;

Look at how many messages there are, and how many observations were read in.  Once you understand that, we can switch back to your original question.

Good luck.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation