Pipelined I/O thread did not timely terminate

New Contributor

Pipelined I/O thread did not timely terminate

Getting this message intermittently on queries in SAS 9.4.  SAS support was only able to say the oracle connection was lost, but we don't see anything in the Oracle logs and I'm getting it against two different Oracle databases, one 11g another 12c.  Both are 12c oracle clients.  Sometimes the program will hang, other times it completes and the data looks ok.  Anyone ever seen the message:

ORACLE: Pipelined I/O thread did not timely terminate

ORACLE: Pipelined I/O thread terminated on 2nd attempt

Super User

Re: Pipelined I/O thread did not timely terminate

What sort of SAS queries are you running on Oracle? SAS SQL, SQL passthru, DATA step, SAS procedure?

Have you tried running queries with SAS diagnostics switched on:

options sastrace = ',,,d' SASTRACELOC = SASLOG;

One possible explanation might be intermittent network issues. I suggest you get your IT network folks to run a network trace on your database connections to see if they can spot anything. 

New Contributor

It's happening on a variety of proc sql statements, some are very simple.  It's only happening during our heavy processing window overnight.  The database server is under a heavy load at the time.  But it's the same database server our 9.2 environment uses and doesn't produce the error.

Super User

[ Edited ]

I suggest you try the diagnostics and also provide SAS Tech Support with this. I think a network trace might also be helpful as it may pick up the dropped connections and provide more evidence to SAS Tech Support as to where the problem lies. 

New Contributor

Thanks.  I forgot to mention I did the trace and it didn't add anything useful, we know it's not the particular queries and there was not new information on the oracle connection.  I've asked our DBA to set up logging on the oracle client side.  And he's going to look at network.  I will also open a new Track.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation