BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BlueBoyDan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Hopefully an easy question to solve, but I'm back to using Base SAS after 8 years of using SAS Enterprise Guide and I'm getting a mental block!!

Below is my proc sql code

proc sql;
create table mktg_count
as
select PROD_DETAIL,
count(distinct DM_CUST_KEY) as Total_Customers,
sum( case when valid_email = 'Y' and SUPRS_EMAIL_FLAG = 'N' and OPT_OUT_FLAG = 'N' then 1 else 0 end) as Emailable,
sum( case when SUPRS_MAIL_FLAG = 'N' and OPT_OUT_FLAG = 'N' then 1 else 0 end) as Mailable
from cust_emails
where PROD_DETAIL not in ('Home','Motor')
group by PROD_DETAIL;
quit;

What I'm trying to do is create the Emailable and Mailable columns for the distinct values of Total Customers, but my sum function is bringing back the sum for the whole of my table instead.

Can anybody please help me with this so that the sum function is only on distinct customers.  I've tried putting the calculated columns in the group by statement, but that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

Dan

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you provide some example data to play around with (in a data step), I could try to write some code for this.

Basically I would sum up first on DM_CUST_KEY (I guess that if a DM_CUST_KEY has at least one valid_email = 'Y', you want to count that as 1 for that particular DM_CUST_KEY), and then sum on the PROD_DETAIL in a second step. But to get a feel for your data, I'd need that first.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Can you supply some test data - in the form of a datastep - and what the output should look like.  It is confusing to me that you have count(distinct DM_CUST_KEY), but want this to be unique keys?  Its either a count of that, or a unique list of but not both.  The where should be moved to a subquery or having clause.  And its likely a simple datastep or proc would do this better anyways.  But without some data its hard to say.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Not sure what you mean by unique customer in the sum functions. You have a nested case using three columns. How would you expect that to be evaluated across multiple rows for a single customer?

Perhaps it's easier to do a preparation step to first give you unique rows for a customer, then do the count?

Data never sleeps
BlueBoyDan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I've solved this for myself now.  I had an extra proc sort de-dupe missing originally so I've added that in now and got the results I wanted.  Schoolboy error :-).

Thanks for all your help and comments, though.

Dan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation