PROC GENMOD-- are robust standard errors adjusted independently of the specified correlation structure?

N/A

PROC GENMOD-- are robust standard errors adjusted independently of the specified correlation structure?

Hello,

I am conducting a matched longitudinal study of hospitalization outcomes (with a binary outcome variable and only time-independent covariates). I was wondering whether the robust standard errors will differ depending on the specified covariance structure. In other words, are Huber-White standard errors (used with PROC GENMOD, logit function) calculated independently of the chosen covariance structure (eg. unstructured, exchangeable etc)? I am unable to verify this for myself given that the model is only converging when an independence correlation structure is specified (given limited data).

Thanks in advance for your support.

Respected Advisor

Re: PROC GENMOD-- are robust standard errors adjusted independently of the specified correlation structure?

Because the standard error is a quadratic form involving the variance-covariance matrix, I believe the selection of the covariance structure will have a profound influence on the values obtained.  That's the long answer.  Short answer--they are not calculated independently.

The fact that the model is only converging under an independent structure, is as you surmise, almost certainly due to limited data.

Steve Denham

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation