BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jp134711
Calcite | Level 5

Is it possible to combine a binary response variable (e.g. whether or not a patient is readmitted) with a time series model using PROC ARIMA?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

No idea, but it sounds more like survival analysis.

What doesn't survival analysis cover that you would want in ARIMA, some sort of seasonality?

jp134711
Calcite | Level 5

I'm interested in investigating the effect of an intervention on readmission rate, after controlling for patient-level covariates. I have about 3 years of historical/pre-intervention data and 1.5 years of post-intervention data. I want to incorporate time trend to account for changes in medical practice over time and its relation with readmission.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

That sounds, at least to me, more like a survival analysis with a time-dependent covariate, as proposed by @Reeza.  Think about what the ARIMA model would be fitting--a long string of zeroes, a single 1, perhaps some more 1's (if you model as still admitted), then another long string of zeroes.  That is not a good dataset for fitting an ARIMA model.  Instead, time to re-admission, with a covariate that describes the intervention status, strikes me as something that would work.  Check out PROC PHREG.

Steve Denham

Reeza
Super User

I would add some indicator variables, possible time dependent to account for the changes in practice.

You'll have to be careful with the pre-intervention/post-intervention data to make sure they're handled appropriately, but survival analysis is what you're looking for.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

, that's what I was trying to say.  I think a record would look like:

subjid      date      admission_status      intervention_status      covariate1      covariate2      (other covariates of interest).

That should set it up for a survival analysis, as per Example 67.7 Time-Dependent Repeated Measurements of a Covariate.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation