BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mbuchecker
Quartz | Level 8

If you were training someone new to SAS, and assuming they only have Base SAS available, is PROC TABULATE really worth knowing? Please respond YES if PROC TABULATE is used frequently enough in your job, or NO if it is rarely used.
THANKS!

Updated: Looks like everyone has said Yes, so thanks for the feedback!

Michelle
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Yes, but ... that doesn't make it a top priority.  Here are all topics that I would want a trainee to master before learning PROC TABULATE:

PROCS:  SORT, PRINT, SUMMARY, FREQ, FORMAT

The effect of a BY statement in a DATA step.

How SAS handles dates.

PROC FREQ:  creating an output data set, the effect of adding a FORMAT statement (both on printed table and on output data set)

PROC SUMMARY:  what does the output data set look like?  What is NWAY, CHARTYPE, and _TYPE_?  The effects of a BY statement, a CLASS statement, a FORMAT statement, and combinations of these statements.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

Yes.

I use Proc Tabulate frequently as many of my reports often involve nesting row and column data at the same time. I even have processes using Proc tabulate to create summary data sets.

Astounding
PROC Star

Yes, but ... that doesn't make it a top priority.  Here are all topics that I would want a trainee to master before learning PROC TABULATE:

PROCS:  SORT, PRINT, SUMMARY, FREQ, FORMAT

The effect of a BY statement in a DATA step.

How SAS handles dates.

PROC FREQ:  creating an output data set, the effect of adding a FORMAT statement (both on printed table and on output data set)

PROC SUMMARY:  what does the output data set look like?  What is NWAY, CHARTYPE, and _TYPE_?  The effects of a BY statement, a CLASS statement, a FORMAT statement, and combinations of these statements.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

YES

It is useful for some real work. Its greatest asset is its simplicity. I always consider using it before I (reluctantly) turn to proc report.

PG
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I've discovered that some folks are TABULATE people and some folks are REPORT people. I've heard people say that they will always to go to REPORT first and then (reluctantly) turn to TABULATE.

I think the main strength of TABULATE is the 10**31-1 number of crossings of the CLASS variable that it can make for you. Of course, that is going to be a VERY huge set of table cells to page through, so honestly, the most I've done in TABULATE ever was 2 class variables in the PAGE dimension, 3 class variables in the row dimension and 3 class variables in the column dimension with just the N as the statistic. I've had 2-dimensional tables with more crossings in my work in the past. But I have seen more complicated tables.

To add to @Astounding's suggestion of what to master, before TABULATE, I'd add learning the DATA step and IF logic before mixing in BY groups and FIRST.byvar and LAST.byvar and then along with TABULATE, I'd recommend REPORT.

cynthia
mbuchecker
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks @cynthia. I'm going off another person's course outline, so I don't have much flexibility with regard to order or content, only depth of content. But rest assured DATA step and IF logic will come first!
Michelle
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

I'm definitely much more of a Proc Report type of guy but then occasionally I find something which is much easier to do with Proc Tabulate and then I use that - horses for courses....

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 7 in conversation