BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
oldsasguy
Calcite | Level 5

The rule here is to create the programs on the PC (either EG or DSM) and submit them remotely to Linux.  The programs I am working with use a lot of SAS Macros.  My question is this:  Should the macros be defined within rsubmit/endrsubmit blocks (i.e. on Linux)?  Does it matter?  I want to store the compiled versions of the macros but need to know which platform to put them on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

Take a look at this link and see if it is what you have in mind http://www.bi-notes.com/2013/03/sas-enterprise-guide-unix-putty/

FYI the approach described in the link is not how we do things where I work. We have a SAS BI environment (Stored Process Server). SAS programs (including macros) are stored in SVN repositories. Programmers typically work in the local environment during the dev phase, including macros.

Our stored processes are essentially wrappers that call the underlying test/production SAS programs, including macros, etc. Long-and-short of it is that the macros are typically compiled locally for dev and on the UNIX server for test/production.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

Take a look at this link and see if it is what you have in mind http://www.bi-notes.com/2013/03/sas-enterprise-guide-unix-putty/

FYI the approach described in the link is not how we do things where I work. We have a SAS BI environment (Stored Process Server). SAS programs (including macros) are stored in SVN repositories. Programmers typically work in the local environment during the dev phase, including macros.

Our stored processes are essentially wrappers that call the underlying test/production SAS programs, including macros, etc. Long-and-short of it is that the macros are typically compiled locally for dev and on the UNIX server for test/production.

oldsasguy
Calcite | Level 5

thanks for the link, Fugue.  It didn't exactly answer my immediate question but gave me a lot of good information, since we have EG (everybody has been using it except me - until now).

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

It was a shot in the dark. Trying to be helpful, but obviously I don't fully understand your question.

oldsasguy
Calcite | Level 5

My  bad, really.  I don't think I spent enough time reading the article - I was busy trying to get a stubborn merge to run.  In retrospect I think it provides what I need and I appreciate the help.

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

No worries. I assume you're not in a full-fledged SAS BI environment?

oldsasguy
Calcite | Level 5

I think they have heard of BI but they don't have it.  As far as I can tell (I've been here a whole two weeks) they are fortunate to have EG and SAS9.2.  At any rate, we will muddle through.  I am seeing some areas where my experience will be put to good use, at least in the areas of resource usage and code efficiency.  I am introducing them to such far-flung ideas as compiled macro libraries, etc.  Other than that, I carry the wood and stoke the fire so our steam-driven mainframe will continue to operate Smiley Wink

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

Wish you success!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation