BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jcorti
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I want to see only records with differences included in my output with the structure shown below:

_TYPE_

obs

var1

var2

var3

var4

BASE

COMPARE

DIF

The program used was:

proc compare base=F.&MATCH1 compare=F.&MATCH2
  OUT=F.&DIFF 
	outbase
	outcomp
	outdif
;
  id var1 var2 var3 var4 ;
run;
                   Number of Observations in Common: 4083722.                                                               
                           Number of Observations in F.MATCH1 but not in F.MATCH2: 158.                           
                           Total Number of Observations Read from F.MATCH1: 4083722.                                        
                           Total Number of Observations Read from F.MATCH2: 4083880.                                      

Number of Observations with Some Compared Variables Unequal: 2.                                          
                           Number of Observations with All Compared Variables Equal: 4083720.                                       

Values Comparison Summary                                                      

Number of Variables Compared with All Observations Equal: 173.                                    
                                  Number of Variables Compared with Some Observations Unequal: 2.                                   
                                  Number of Variables with Missing Value Differences: 2.                                            
                                  Total Number of Values which Compare Unequal: 2.                                                  
                                  Maximum Difference: 0.      

Why  my output file is generating more than 12 millions of observations -including that are exactly equals in both files- ??, I only want on my ouput file with unequals observations, like this:

Number of Observations with Some Compared Variables Unequal: 2.  

Thanks in advance and regards,

JC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Looking at the documenation (or below in red) you can see why you're getting the behaviour you've described. You can fix this by specifying the OUTNOEQUAL option instead. See the code below. 

Documentation for PROC COMPARE:

OUTBASE

writes an observation for each observation in the base data set.

OUTCOMP

writes an observation for each observation in the comparison data set

OUTDIF

writes an observation to the output data set for each pair of matching observations.

OUTNOEQUAL

suppresses the writing of observations when all values are equal.

*sample data to check;
data class;
set sashelp.class;

if age=12 then weight=50;
run;

*proc compare test;
proc compare data=class compare=sashelp.class out=check outnoequal ;
id name;
run;

*results;
proc print data=check;run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

Looking at the documenation (or below in red) you can see why you're getting the behaviour you've described. You can fix this by specifying the OUTNOEQUAL option instead. See the code below. 

Documentation for PROC COMPARE:

OUTBASE

writes an observation for each observation in the base data set.

OUTCOMP

writes an observation for each observation in the comparison data set

OUTDIF

writes an observation to the output data set for each pair of matching observations.

OUTNOEQUAL

suppresses the writing of observations when all values are equal.

*sample data to check;
data class;
set sashelp.class;

if age=12 then weight=50;
run;

*proc compare test;
proc compare data=class compare=sashelp.class out=check outnoequal ;
id name;
run;

*results;
proc print data=check;run;

Jcorti
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks man!!

It worked for me !!

Sunboyss30
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Jcorti,

I have been using OUTNOEQUAL option while using proc compare and still getting the equal values in the output. Please find attached the screenshot

Sunboyss30
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Reeza,

If you can give your inputs.

Thanks,

GAL1986
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

I would like to create a dataset that shows the values produced by OUTBASE and OUTCOMP but only for people with unequal values. Is there a way to do this? The following code, even with OUTNOEQUAL, shows the values for all observations. 

proc compare base=HLA_internal_test comp=HLA_external_test out=dif2 outbase outcomp outnoequal;
ID PID;
run;

Thank you in advance! 

Reeza
Super User

@GAL1986 personally I don't use PROC COMPARE, I would do a custom SQL or data step since PROC COMPARE output is difficult to wrangle. If you really want PROC COMPARE you likely need to take the full data out and restrict the data set in a second data step anyways.

PS. Please post your own question, not as a response to a thread that's 9 months old.

@GAL1986 wrote:

Hi, 

I would like to create a dataset that shows the values produced by OUTBASE and OUTCOMP but only for people with unequal values. Is there a way to do this? The following code, even with OUTNOEQUAL, shows the values for all observations. 

proc compare base=HLA_internal_test comp=HLA_external_test out=dif2 outbase outcomp outnoequal;
ID PID;
run;

Thank you in advance! 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation