BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is locked. We are no longer accepting replies to this topic. Need further help? Please sign in and ask a new question.
polingjw
Quartz | Level 8

Is this issue still being investigated?

Using IE, I still cannot paste code into this forum.  I've tried using the advanced editor and I've tried copying text from MS Word before pasting into this forum.  Neither of these techniques worked.  I don't have access to an alternate web browser and I am not able to control my browser settings. 

When the new forums were initially rolled out, I was able to copy and paste code from MS Word into the editor.  I'm not sure what changed but now, I'm no longer able to paste any material into this forum.  I have never experienced this problem with any other website. 

Without the ability paste code, I will not be able to contribute to this forum.  In addition, I'm sure that the lack of a feature to paste code will discourage many new users of this website from ever even posting their questions.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Have you tried pasting to Notepad and then copying and pasting here?  I just tried that with the text below which was copied from the SAS Enhanced Editor, pasted to Notepad, and then copied and pasted here.  A bit circuitous but at least it worked.

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.have

DATAFILE= "C:\art\sample volatility.xls"

DBMS=EXCEL REPLACE;

GETNAMES=YES;

MIXED=NO;

SCANTEXT=YES;

USEDATE=YES;

SCANTIME=YES;

RUN;

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

And if you want to preserve syntax highlighting paste to MS WORD and copy.  Change font to courier to preserve spacing.

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.have

DATAFILE= "C:\art\sample volatility.xls"

DBMS=EXCEL REPLACE;

GETNAMES=YES;

MIXED=NO;

SCANTEXT=YES;

USEDATE=YES;

SCANTIME=YES;

RUN;

polingjw
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Art.  Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck pasting from Notepad either.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Renee,

I think this may be a correctable setting in the software driving the forum.  When I use IE to paste code copied from SAS onto a page on sasCommunity.org, it appears to paste perfectly.

It's not that we can't paste at all but, rather, that much of the content either gets lost or gets distorted.  e.g., take a look at the following paste from a SAS program:

data

retain_example;

set

retain_example;

by

sex;

retain

gender;

if _n_ eq 1

The above includes some control characters that weren't in the original, as well as lost some text.  If I were to paste the same thing in a page at SASCommunity.org, it would appear as:

data retain_example;

set retain_example;

by sex;

retain gender;

if _n_ eq 1 then gender="Female";

else if first.sex then gender="Male";

run;

Ar

t

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Have you raised this editor issue with the vendor that SAS purchased the forum software from? 

In addition the copy and paste issue the highlighting of text using cursor keys instead of mice behaves vary strangely.

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

I can confirm the very strange highlighting behavior in the editor.

I use chrome as my web browser in linux and do not have a problem copy/pasting from SAS Enchanced Editor.

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Just for the sake of exercising my fingers, I remember haviing this problem way back with v7 SAS on OS/2 (!!!).  The only way I was able to cut and paste in the program window was to highlight exactly the code - if there was a single extra blank byte at the end of the area, then it would not work.  Strange behaviour, even back then.  Never was fixed (well - actually it was beacuse SAS dropped support for OS/2 with V8 - I guess that fixed it).

2much2learn
Calcite | Level 5

I am experiencing the same issue. I am currently on winxp, sp3 using IE8. I have tried all of the walk-arounds suggested here, still NO go. Please Help!

2much2learn
Calcite | Level 5

Just to follow up the thread.

Well, after having tried many ways in vain, I end up with a portable web browser 'opera usb'. Basically you don't need to install it,just run it from anywhere. It seems to be one of a dozen those so called'portable browsers' .It serves my purpose. Now I can 'copy and paste' using mycompany computer.

Thanks,

Haikuo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 14 in conversation