BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
epigrad123
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have a data set with several pulmonary function test dates for each patient (i.e. pftsdate1 pftsdate2...pftsdate20) where patients had gotten FEV and FVC taken at each date (recorded as fevdate1 fvcdate1...fevdate20 fvcdate20). These measurements were pulled from patients charts and so could have taken place many years before the patients were enrolled in the study that the data was collected for. I also have a variable of when a patient was enrolled in the study (enrolldate). I am currently creating a table that averages the FEV measurements for the pulmonary function test measurements taken closest to enrollment, but not after enrollment. This means, for all patients, I have to find the pftsdate that corresponds to the most recent one prior to that patient's enroll date, then create new variables called "tablefev" and "tablefvc" that pulls the fevdate information from that pftsdate.

I am in the middle of creating a long code that hopefully gives me this, but I feel like there has to be a 10 times easier loop way of getting a column of these numbers.

Any help? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Here's the sort of code that could go into a DATA step.  If I understand correctly, the FEV and FVC variables contain the actual measurements, even though the variable names contain the word "DATE".

array pftsdate {20};

array fevdate {20};

array fvcdate {20};

do _n_=1 to 20 until (pftsdate{_n_} > enrolldate);

if pftsdate{_n_} < enrolldate then do;

if fevdate{_n_} > . then closest_fev = fevdate{_n_};

if fvcdate{_n_} > . then closest_fvc = fvcdate{_n_};

end;

end;

See if this works for what you need.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

Here's the sort of code that could go into a DATA step.  If I understand correctly, the FEV and FVC variables contain the actual measurements, even though the variable names contain the word "DATE".

array pftsdate {20};

array fevdate {20};

array fvcdate {20};

do _n_=1 to 20 until (pftsdate{_n_} > enrolldate);

if pftsdate{_n_} < enrolldate then do;

if fevdate{_n_} > . then closest_fev = fevdate{_n_};

if fvcdate{_n_} > . then closest_fvc = fvcdate{_n_};

end;

end;

See if this works for what you need.  Good luck.

epigrad123
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks! Yes, pftsdate has the date while the other two are the actual measurements?  How do I incorporate enrolldate into this? By that I mean how do I ensure that the pftsdate I am geting the most recent prior to enroll date? The only way I can think of is taking the difference from the dates (enrolldate-pftsdate{_n_ ) and writing a command that finds the smallest negative number?

Astounding
PROC Star

That part is already built in.

I'm making an assumption that I hope is valid, that the PFTSDATEs are in order from earliest to latest.  So as the loop goes from 1 to 20 it always moves to a later date.  At the same time, inside the loop the logic compares the PFTSDATE to ENROLLDATE.  So as long as the dates are in order, you shouldn't need any further comparisons with ENROLLDATE.

epigrad123
Calcite | Level 5
Sorry for that last question. First time on here and I didn't realize that I couldn't see all the code, until I clicked print and all of it showed up. Thanks!!!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation