Move a project from one machine to another?

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Move a project from one machine to another?

I've got a SAS Enterprise Guide 5.1 project that i need to move to another machine. The flow is all driven off of the import of an excel file.  The excel file will be there on the new machine.  How do I move the whole workflow/project over so I can run it on the new machine?

I've enclosed a screen capture of part of the project.

Capture.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎11-07-2013 09:43 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: Move a project from one machine to another?

The EG project as such (the .egp file) can simply be copied to the new environment.

Your screenshot shows that not only the excel file but also a lot of the code is external and so in the project itself is only a link to an external  .sas file. If you can also copy the .sas files and the paths on the new machine are identical then everything should work as before. Else you will need to amend the paths. There used to be a migration wizard (wizard.exe) in the EG installation directory - but I'm not sure if this wizard can be used in the way you need to.

If not then: A .egp file is actually a zip archive. You could try and rename it to .zip, then open it with WinZip or the like. I believe the file in the archive you would need to modify is project.xml - search for the paths in there and change it to what you need on the new computer. Then rename the project back to .egp and open it with EG.

Curious what in the end the solution for you will be. Please let us know.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor

Are you running SAS and EG on the local machine or a server?

If you are running SAS and EG locally and wish to load a file from another PC then you have three options:

1. Set up the drive where the excel file is as a share that can be accessed by the SAS user from another machine (try google "setting up a shared drive") (Probably the option I would pick.)

2. Un-install SAS and EG and re-install on the other machine.

3. If you have another SAS licence (or buy one) then install SAS & EG on the other machine too.

Occasional Contributor

I'm running SAS/EG locally.  Both machines have licenses.  It's easy enough to copy the excel file over to a directory on the other machine with the same path.

The question is, how do I move the project to the other machine.  Once it's there, it can import the excel file and regenerate all the data.

Contributor

I have shared projects by closing the project on one machine and then opening on the other. That will probably break the previous import that you ran. When you ran the import there is code which is generated as part of the process you may need to grab that code (selecting the code, copy and then paste into a new sas code program) and check that the path of where the file is located is correct for the new machine and run that code. Or redo the import on the new machine.

Hope that helps.

Solution
‎11-07-2013 09:43 PM
Respected Advisor

The EG project as such (the .egp file) can simply be copied to the new environment.

Your screenshot shows that not only the excel file but also a lot of the code is external and so in the project itself is only a link to an external  .sas file. If you can also copy the .sas files and the paths on the new machine are identical then everything should work as before. Else you will need to amend the paths. There used to be a migration wizard (wizard.exe) in the EG installation directory - but I'm not sure if this wizard can be used in the way you need to.

If not then: A .egp file is actually a zip archive. You could try and rename it to .zip, then open it with WinZip or the like. I believe the file in the archive you would need to modify is project.xml - search for the paths in there and change it to what you need on the new computer. Then rename the project back to .egp and open it with EG.

Curious what in the end the solution for you will be. Please let us know.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation