BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello experts,

Please, I would like to know, If the sas developers can monetize their applications in general and in particular for Data scientist and AI(Artificial Intelligent)?   If yes ? how ? any platform for that ? 

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
SASKiwi
PROC Star

IMO with great difficulty. The reason is SAS applications require SAS software to run and that means as well as buying your SAS application the customer also has to purchase a SAS licence. So you have to convince whoever you are selling to, to pay twice and pay separately, to you and to SAS.

There have been various attempts over the years to sell third-party SAS applications, but I'm not aware of many successful ones. Where it has worked, the third-party has often formed a close and symbiotic relationship with SAS. An example of this would be Metacoda: https://www.metacoda.com/en/

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you for your answer, that's clear for me now.

Please, can you explain what do you mean by IMO ?

So, is it possible with R software ? As I think,  SAS supported calling R from SAS. 

Reeza
Super User

@LineMoon wrote:

Please, can you explain what do you mean by IMO ?

IMO -> In My Opinion

@LineMoon wrote:

So, is it possible with R software ? As I think,  SAS supported calling R from SAS. 

Only with a SAS/IML license and I think specific versions are installed and it may not necessarily have all the packages you expect. That's probably not a road I'd go down. I do wish there was an 'app' store like in others where you could buy/sell macros/programs used. Or even a better option right now to share code freely. GitHub works to some extent...

R is full open source, so people are working for free to develop things that others can make money off. But it's also a catch 22 because the software is free, I find it harder to convince people to pay for an R solution, whereas SAS companies are more willing to pay for a solution. 

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you very much.

Ok, it has become clear to me.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

As a SAS developer, you make your living creating individual solutions, either for your employer, or your customer if you are a freelance consultant.

I'm in the first category.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Futrix as another such successful company that leverages SAS.

But I agree with the comments above; successes are rare for the reasons outlined. 

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you very much for your comment.

I start looking at the "GITHUB", but for the moment, the reward mechanism is not very clear for me..

Reeza
Super User

Reward mechanism? It's designed as a tool to share code, at the moment, that's all. 

My list of snippets that I keep handy are available here.

https://gist.github.com/statgeek

If you to monetize code and/or tutorials, Podia.com is a good tool to allow you to set up a site with membership access that you can charge for. 

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you very much, I will look at that.

Reward mechanism   for the applications developer  ? I make allude to some Blockchain ICO projects (ongoing).

It starts from the Idea that the developer will reward, if his code source or application run in block chain  by an other developer or user... 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 5 in conversation