BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
help93
Calcite | Level 5

Hey all. I hope all is well.

I've been working on SAS for the last 2 weeks and have come across a problem I can't seem to figure out.

Problem:

One database contains the variable 'POSTCODE' in the form of 'UB2  9TF' (UK POSTCODES)

The other database contains the variable 'POSTCODE' in the form of 'UB29TF'. How do I go about getting the same variable attributes in order to successfully merge them?

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Amir
PROC Star

Hi,

Have you tried using the compress function to remove spaces (among other characters) in a string?

SAS(R) 9.3 Functions and CALL Routines: Reference

Regards,

Amir.

help93
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the brilliant idea!

As I'm still relatively new, I'm not quite sure on how to execute the compress function.

The function:

COMPRESS (character-value <,'compress-list'>)

My coding:

**compress**;

data test3;

set test2;

Postcode = COMPRESS (" X ")

run;

Now, the problem is that there are a multitude of differing postcodes. One dataset contains 'UB8 1TF' whereas another may possibly have 'UB10 8TF', and hence I am not too sure as to what to replace 'X' with.

Just to clarify, I want the postcodes to become 'UB81TF' and 'UB108TF' instead of the above - also, there are A LOT of postcodes for this to be done to.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It sounds like you would like to remove the spaces that are embedded into the middle of some of the values of POSTCODE in one or more of the original datasets.

data fix1 ;

set data1 ;

postcode = compress(postcode, ' ');

run;

data fix2;

set data2;

postcode = compress(postcode, ' ');

run;

proc sort data=fix1; by postcode ; run;

proc sort data=fix2; by postcode; run;

data want ;

merge fix1 fix2;

by postcode;

run;

Or with PROC SQL you might do something like this:

proc sql ;

create table want as

select *

from data1 full join data2

on compress(data1.postcode,' ') = compress(date2.postcode,' ')

;

quit;

help93
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much Amir and Tom. It's finally compressed! My other question is how do I ensure that the two variables have the same length, informat, format, label, etc,.

For example, before merging, one database has the format and informat of  '$24' whereas the other has '$255'.

RichardinOz
Quartz | Level 8

For character variables the formats and informats you mention are redundant.  They probably indicate the length of the respective variables in their tables, both of them overkill if they ar for the postcodes. 

You can compare values with different lengths from each of these tables without making any further adjustments, SAS will just pad out the rest of the length (if any) with blanks.  Just do it.

Richard

umashankersaini
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

if there is only blank characters (more than one in string) then you can also use COMPBL function to remove excess blanks.

Regards

Uma Shanker

jaredp
Quartz | Level 8

If your postal codes are like mine, you will not only want to use the Compress function as indicated to remove blanks, but also to remove unwanted characters like dashes (i.e. A1A-1A1).  Here is a paper with good examples: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2007/217-2007.pdf

In a similar way as the compress function, you may want to use the UPCASE function to make any lowercase letters in your postalcode to uppercase (that is, if any lowercases exist). 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 6 in conversation