BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
moreilly
Calcite | Level 5

I am working with Medicare claims data and am trying to merge two datasets (TRIGGERS and CLAIMS).  TRIGGERS has the variables bene_id, claim_id and date.  In TRIGGERS there is one claim (observation) per bene_id.  CLAIMS has bene_id, claim_id, date and diagnostic codes. In CLAIMS, each bene_id may have multiple claims (multiple observations).  I want to create a new dataset, LOOKBACK, that keeps only the bene_ids that are in both TRIGGERS and CLAIMS and keeps multiple claims (observations) for every bene_id.  I expected the following code to work, but I seemed to lose the claim from TRIGGER.  Any suggestions?

proc sort data = out.triggers; by bene_id; run;

proc sort data = work.claims; by bene_id; run;

data lookback;
merge out.triggers (in=a) work.claims (in=b);
by bene_id; if a and b;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Your final data set can only have one variable named CLAIM_ID.  If it appears in both data sets and you want both, this is one possible change to handle it:

merge out.triggers (in=a rename=(claim_id=trigger_claim_id)) work.claims (in=b);

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

What does the log say? If none of these match you should be getting zero obs due to the "if a and b;" Have you compared the values for bene_id in both data sets to make sure they have any overlap at all?

moreilly
Calcite | Level 5

There is overlap.  This is the log message:

NOTE: There were 711292 observations read from the data set TRIGGERS.
NOTE: There were 86214334 observations read from the data set CLAIMS.
NOTE: The data set WORK.LOOKBACK has 23448038 observations and 17 variables.

But, when I look at the data, the date from the TRIGGER observation has been lost.

Astounding
PROC Star

Your final data set can only have one variable named CLAIM_ID.  If it appears in both data sets and you want both, this is one possible change to handle it:

merge out.triggers (in=a rename=(claim_id=trigger_claim_id)) work.claims (in=b);

moreilly
Calcite | Level 5

That did it!  Thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation