Masking sas code

Super Contributor

Masking sas code

Please, I have a table with sas code and i want to extract some lines from my table :  select text from table where TEXT='xxx';  Thank you

table:

TEXT

if xxx then yyyyy do;

xxxxx

end

proc sql;

create table

From

quit;

%let v=

%macro ggg;

%mend ggg;

Esteemed Advisor

Re: Masking sas code

Your question makes no sense to me. Could you please rephrase it in a more understandable way?

Because at the moment I think all you need is a where condition, which is not difficult at all.

Why do you store SAS code in a table?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super Contributor

I have a sas program and I want to extract the variables rule from my pogram

like this as an exemple.

length V 5.;

format  V best32.;

W=2*T;

T=P*L;

V=W*T;

Grand Advisor

Provide some more detailed input and what the output should look like.

Super Contributor

Thank you for your message.

I have a sas program( it is my input) and I want to extract the vaiable rules.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

What is a variable "rule"? Can you show an ACTUAL example of the data/program you have and an ACTUAL example of the output you expect or of the type of output you want? If you can't post an example of real data or a real program, then you need to show a program and then give a concrete example of the type of output you want. Saying that you "want to extract the variable rules" doesn't tell anyone whether you want an output dataset, whether you want a report, what is a variable rule, how do you tell a variable rule from any other statement or data. Which of your statements would be considered variable "rules" and why? You said that you had a program, but usually, a program is a complete program. You only showed a partial program. Essentially, you will have to read in the program using an INFILE and INPUT statements.

It will be of more help to everyone if you can draft a complete sample question with an example of what you are starting with AND a description of the selection/extraction rules for creating your output AND a description of what type of output you need (dataset or report) .

For example, here's a sample question:

I have a table with some information

My Table

---------------

order   line

1         x=y;

2         12345

3         *this is a comment;

4         p=24;

5         run;

6         *this is the end, this is the end, my friend;

and I want to extract any line that starts with an asterisk '*'. I need to create a new dataset that contains only these observations. In this data above, my output dataset would look like this:

order     line

3            *this is a comment;

6            *this is the end, this is the end, my friend;

In which case, it would be easy for someone to suggest an example program based on using the INDEX, FIND and/or SUBSTR functions, coupled with the OUTPUT statement. Probably, the program would need an INFILE statement to point to the location of the file and then a INPUT statement to "parse" the lines.

data mytable;

length line $100;

infile datalines dlm='~' dsd;

input order line $;

return;

datalines4;

1~x=y;

2~12345

3~*this is a comment;

4~p=24;

5~run;

6~*this is the end, this is the end, my friend;

;;;;

run;

title; footnote;

ods html file='c:\temp\before_after.html';

proc print data=mytable noobs;

title '1) Original File';

var order line;

run;

data newtable;

set mytable;

** this IF statement could be added to the original program that reads;

** in the data. It depends on whether you need to keep a copy of the original;

if substr(line,1,1) = '*' then output;

run;

proc print data=newtable noobs;

title '2) Extracted Lines';

var order line;

run;

ods html close;

cynthia

Super Contributor

Thank you for your message.

Sorry, if I was not clear in my question. I will try this one

> I can have a sas program with more than 9000 lines of code or more (some times) !!

To resume :

> My input is a sas program with more than 9000 lines of code( you can have the sas proc: sql, iml, print, data set, sas maco, all things, you can get in sas base)

> I want to extract the the rules of the variables in my output( I call it : table target), my variables in the output, they passed by an other tables ( I call these tables : table source)

> I want to have a report likes this :

VARIABLERULETABLE TARGETTABLE SOURCE
VLength V 6 ;
Format V best32.;
V=2w+r-2g;
TABTAG1TABSR1

Note : Yes , I agree with that, we can get the variable in the code, but this does not mean, we have made a modification on the variable( as you show with proc print with your exemple), but i am really interested by the real modification, that can modify the result at the end

Grand Advisor

I'm very curious as to why you're doing this.

I would treat this as a text mining operation to some point, reading in all the code and then separating each section into and individual proc/data step. You can parse each line into individual component using the semicolon as a delimiter and go from there. I'm not sure if searching for the = will capture all variable transformations but I'm not 100% sure what you're after either.

Super Contributor

Thank you for your interest.

It is intersting for some  reasons( technical, domaine, fonctional,..)

Yes, "=" can help, we can not get all rules:

If I have some thing likes this

proc sql;

create table out1 as

select  trt1 as v

even with "=", we will have some informations, but , we will not extract in which data, we have make this modification

like this

data out2;

set out1;

v=2w-r;

run;

SAS Super FREQ

Hi,

It seems to me that you are essentially wanting to duplicate what SAS does at word scanning phase and compile phase, before execution phase. That is a big task. I agree with Reeza -- this is more of a text mining exercise. I would think it would help if you can refine your requirements a bit more. For example it is not clear to me why your LENGTH "rule" is one row on the report, but your FORMAT "rule" has FORMAT V on one line and then has the best32. on the next line. This is inconsistent with the way you represent the "rule" for LENGTH.

cynthia

Super Contributor

Hi Cynthia

Yes, you're right,

Sorry, I made a mistake, I want like this 

Length V 6 ;

Format V best32.;

As I said before, this exercise has a some reasons( technical, functional, domain)

It is also very intersting to see in the report some thing inconsistent in sas synthax, in domain, in functional  

Grand Advisor

What's domain/functional and an example of inconsistency.

Super Contributor

It 's can be any domain,

Let us take an exemple, if you choose the  domain XXXX

You define a variable tax : likes this Tax=a*var1+b*var2+var3*omega1

but in other tables: you have :

a*var1+b*var2+zeta3*omega1+epsilon

or a*var1+b*var2+var3*omega1+teta

It is just an exemple.

If we can list the rules of the variable one after one, it is some thing very ineresting because, we will have a good vision for the processus of the creation(or transformation) of the variable in a big program

Super Contributor

What's about sas integration. we can not use it ?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation