Macro help needed for "operating environment variable"?

Contributor

Macro help needed for "operating environment variable"?

Dear SAS Folks, The following part of my existing Retail Datawarehouse SAS script in production throws an error/warning when executed as mentioned below:

%let STORE_ID=%sysfunc(sysget(STORE_ID));

%put &STORE_ID;

LOG Message:

WARNING: An argument to the function SYSGET referenced by the %SYSFUNC or %QSYSFUNC macro function is out of range.

The system runs on Unix environment where basically a shell script executes the underlying SAS scripts. I am finding it dificult to understand the concept of operating variable as I read through the documentation for sysget function.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000245954.htm

In the above link, i noticed this point-"If the value of the operating environment variable is truncated or the variable is not defined in the operating environment, SYSGET displays a warning message in the SAS log."

Please kindly advice a fix to my problem.

Super User
Super User

Re: Macro help needed for "operating environment variable"?

Use the built in macro function %SYSGET() instead of trying use %SYSFUNC() to call the data step function SYSGET().

%let store_id=%sysget(STORE_ID);

You could also try using a PIPE to read the output of an echo command, but that would not be operating system independent and requires that PIPE engine access is allowed.

data _null_;

infile 'echo $STORE_ID' pipe;

input;

call symputx('store_id',_infile_);

run;

Remember that on Unix environment variable names are case sensitive so STORE_ID is a different variable than store_id.

Contributor

Re: Macro help needed for "operating environment variable"?

@Tom Thank you, I will try sincerely. Please accept my apologies for the duplication here and in SAS L.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation