BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Criptic
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello everybody,

as you can maybe guess from the title I'm a little bit lost and don't really know what to search for so here it goes:

I have a STP which takes as one of its arguments a on-condition. That condition can be freely entered by the user.

And a simple condition, e.g. a.key_value eq b.key_value, works perfectly fine. The problem arises when I want to a join like, e.g. a.key_value eq b.key_value and b.birthday eq '07FEB2018'd, I get the following error-message:

NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "JOINCONDITION".
362 a.key_value eq b.key_value and b.birthday eq '07FEB2018'd
_
_
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant, a missing value, (, *, +, -, ALL, ANY, BTRIM, CALCULATED, CASE,
INPUT, PUT, SELECT, SOME, SUBSTRING, TRANSLATE, USER.

ERROR 200-322: The symbol is not recognized and will be ignored.

The input from the user is stored in a macro variable called JOINCONDITION and proc sql that gets executed is inside of macro.

When I do the exact same thing inside of SAS-Coding and not as part of a STP it works fine and I don't get why.

Coding inside STP:

/* For the user input let's say it is again a.key_value eq b.key_value and b.birthday eq '07FEB2018'd */

%macro test();
 /* Somethings that are done beforehand */
proc sql;
create table aaa as
select b.open, a.*
from mydata as a
left join myotherdata as b
on &JOINCONDITION;
run;
%mend test;

%test();

Now if I take that coding and paste into a "normal" SAS-coding and set the macro variable JOINCONDITION with %let it works fine:

%let JOINCONDITION = a.key_value eq b.key_value and b.birthday eq '07FEB2018'd;

%macro test();
 /* Somethings that are done beforehand */
proc sql;
create table aaa as
select b.open, a.*
from mydata as a
left join myotherdata as b
on &JOINCONDITION;
run;
%mend test;

%test();

Can somebody give me any pointers? I tried &JOINCONDITION. didn't make a difference. Enclosing in " " just created a cartesian product. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

As an educated guess, here is what I would try inside the macro:

on %unquote(&JOINCONDITION);

It seems like your process somehow quotes characters in &JOINCONDITION, and SQL is notoriously poor at unquoting them in time for correct parsing.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

use

%nrbquote(&joincondition)

--
Paige Miller
Criptic
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@PaigeMiller Thank you for your reply. Sadly the ERROR message stays the same.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Are you working on some jail time and a big fat liability suit? Because that's what's going to happen as soon as a user injects code that deletes all your tables or enters fraudulent data into a critical dataset.

NEVER, EVER LET USERS ENTER CODE INTO A PROCESS THAT DOES NOT RUN UNDER THEIR OWN USERID!!!

Criptic
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@Kurt_Bremser Thank you for the concern but this is a non-issue with this as STP-Server-User is not allowed to write, update or delete data in the library it can access.

Criptic
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
And the input is validated for semicolons, the words proc, sql, update, drop, delete, alter, etc.
Astounding
PROC Star

As an educated guess, here is what I would try inside the macro:

on %unquote(&JOINCONDITION);

It seems like your process somehow quotes characters in &JOINCONDITION, and SQL is notoriously poor at unquoting them in time for correct parsing.

Criptic
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
@Astounding Well this was one educated guess! Worked like a charm, thank you very much!
ballardw
Super User

Please post logs, especially with errors, into a code box opened using the forum {I} menu icon.

Note that the main message window reformats text and reduces the information in the error message.

For instance from your post:

NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "JOINCONDITION".
362 a.key_value eq b.key_value and b.birthday eq '07FEB2018'd
_
_
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant, a missing value, (, *, +, -, ALL, ANY, BTRIM, CALCULATED, CASE,
INPUT, PUT, SELECT, SOME, SUBSTRING, TRANSLATE, USER.

ERROR 200-322: The symbol is not recognized and will be ignored.

The _ character was originally underneath a position in the code where SAS determined the error.

Also post the entire proc or data step generating the error. Sometimes the actual cause is something earlier in the code that wasn't ended correctly but the error isn't triggered until later in the code.

Since the message says expecting values like BTRIM, CALCULATED and such I suspect that there is something else going on. I might guess that for some reason the whole macro variable is not being considered as a join condition but just some string not resolving. You might mention HOW the users set that and which interface, Web Report Studio or something else as that is likely doing something to the entered values.

Proc SQL wants a QUIT not a RUN.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation