BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
glcoolj12
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I'm working with four data sets (6-year, 12-year, 18-year and 24-year measurements), within each data set every observation is unique to a person.   

In each of these data sets, there are 13 measures of interest (height, weight, pulse....) that were measured 3 times (height1, height2, height3) there are cases where an individual only had 1 or 2 measurements (i.e. height1=48, height2=48.2, height3= . ).  

I'm looking to find the average measurement on cases where the individual had 2 or more measurements (for all 13 variables of interest).  My base code works (see below) but I'd like to create a macro so I don't have 26 IF/DO statements  x 4 data sets.   

Any Suggestions on how to shorten up the code?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

%LET WT= WEIGHT;
%LET HT= HEIGHT;

DATA Y;
SET X;
IF &WT.1 NE . AND &WT.2 NE . AND &WT.3 NE . THEN DO;
AVG&WT. = (&WT.1+&WT.2+&WT.3)/3;
END;

IF &WT.1 NE . AND &WT.2 NE . AND &WT.3 = . THEN DO;
AVG&WT. = (&WT.1+&WT.2)/2;
END;

IF &HT.1 NE........

RUN;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It sounds like you want to calculate the mean only if there are at least two values?

if n(of weight1-weight3) >= 2 then weight_avg=mean(of weight1-weight3);

I am not sure that macro code is much use in this situation.

Just replicate the line and change the variable names.

But if you wanted you could create a macro to take in a list of base names and generate the above code.  You could even make the minimum number of values and number of replicates parameters.

%macro atleast(list,n=3,min=2);
%local i base;
%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&list));
%let base=%scan(&list,&i);
if n(of &base.1-&base.&n) >= &min) then &base._avg=mean(of &base.1-&base.&n);
%end;
%mend atleast;

Then you could use it for HEIGHT and WEIGHT;

data want;
  set have ;
%atleast(height weight)
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It sounds like you want to calculate the mean only if there are at least two values?

if n(of weight1-weight3) >= 2 then weight_avg=mean(of weight1-weight3);

I am not sure that macro code is much use in this situation.

Just replicate the line and change the variable names.

But if you wanted you could create a macro to take in a list of base names and generate the above code.  You could even make the minimum number of values and number of replicates parameters.

%macro atleast(list,n=3,min=2);
%local i base;
if n(of &base.1-&base.&n) >= &min) then &base._avg=mean(of &base.1-&base.&n);
%end;
%mend atleast;

Then you could use it for HEIGHT and WEIGHT;

data want;
  set have ;
%atleast(height weight)
run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I'm thinking a macro is not needed here.

Append all your data into one data set, with a YEAR variable to indicate 6, 12, 18, 24. Then compute the n for each individual and each measurement. This can be done in a data step. If n=1 then in the data step, then the mean is missing. If n=2 or n=3, then (for example regarding height)

height_mean = mean(of height1-height3);
--
Paige Miller
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

On top of @Tom's suggestion, If your variables of interest share some traits, such as they are at least 2 with the same prefix (shown in the example code ), or all variables except 'ID'/'Group' etc.(not shown),  you could use some variants of the following to save some typing:

%macro atleast(list,min=2);
%local i base;
if n(of &base.:) >= &min then &base._avg=mean(of &base.:);
%end;
%mend atleast;

proc sql;
select DISTINCT PRXCHANGE('s/\d*$//',1,strip(name))  into :list separated by ' ' from dictionary.columns 
where libname='WORK' AND MEMNAME='HAVE'
group by PRXCHANGE('s/\d*$//',1,strip(name))
having count(*) >=2
;
QUIT;

data want;
  set have ;
%atleast(&list.)
run;
glcoolj12
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you to everyone for their very helpful assistance!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation