BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cdobrowolski
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi there, I am brand new to SAS, and am using the University edition on a newer Macbook with OS Sierra 10.12.3. I keep getting the same error message: "A shared folder named "myfolders" was not found on the virtual machine. See the FAQ for details." when I open SAS in my browser, despite having created and added the file 'myfolders', as directed. Any help would be appreciated. 

18 REPLIES 18
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

Make sure that you have the folder's definition as Auto-mount and Make Permanent. That's what works for me.

cdobrowolski
Fluorite | Level 6
I have tried both of those things already, unfortunately.
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

Hmm. Puzzling. Have you tried dropping the session and restarting? I'm sure you have - just having to check everything.

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

In the VirtualBox log (Machine*Show Log), can you find something like this:

Host path '/Users/username/Documents/SAS/SASUniversityEdition/myfolders', map name 'myfolders', writable, automount=true, create_symlinks=false, missing=false

and this:

00:00:37.194416 VMMDev: Guest Log: 00:00:00.008954 automount VBoxServiceAutoMountWorker: Shared folder "myfolders" was mounted to "/mnt/hgfs/myfolders"

cdobrowolski
Fluorite | Level 6
Hm no I don’t see anything like that unfortunately.

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

I've just dropped my session and restarted SAS. The first reference to SharedFolders host service was at 00:00:01.41 seconds in - so pretty early on. It's just after the CPUID dump, if that helps.

cdobrowolski
Fluorite | Level 6

Hm, I have found this:

00:00:01.778272 File system of '/Users/chrisanna_m_d/VirtualBox VMs/SAS University Edition/Snapshots' (snapshots) is hfs

00:00:01.778294 File system of '/Users/chrisanna_m_d/VirtualBox VMs/SAS University Edition/SAS_University_Edition.vmdk' is hfs

00:00:01.868260 Shared clipboard service loaded

00:00:01.868284 Shared clipboard mode: Bidirectional

00:00:01.873443 Drag and drop service loaded

00:00:01.873475 Drag and drop mode: Bidirectional

00:00:01.877924 Guest Control service loade

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

First point: go down another few seconds worth (maybe a hundred lines or so. The VBox.log has Find and Filter to help you find stuff faster.

Second point: Yup - that's right. SAS doesn't run natively in MacOS - that's why you need the virtual machine, which runs Linux but interacts with MacOS and plays nicely.

cdobrowolski
Fluorite | Level 6

aha, found it:

00:00:33.342597 VMMDev: Guest Log: 00:00:00.018177 automount VBoxServiceAutoMountWorker: Shared folder "myfolder" was mounted to "/mnt/hgfs/sf_myfolder"

and that makes sense RE Linux. Thanks. 

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

OK - sounds as though we're getting close. On my log, I have five lines referring to myfolders. The first one is the Host Path one,

followed by VMMDEV (bear in mind that I don't know exactly what this means, this is just what is working for me):

00:00:20.058051 VMMDev: Guest Log: 00:00:00.011867 automount VBoxServiceAutoMountWorker: Shared folder "myfolders" was mounted to "/mnt/hgfs/sf_myfolders"
00:00:21.298587 VMMDev: Guest Log: 00:00:00.008689 automount VBoxServiceAutoMountWorker: Shared folder "myfolders" was mounted to "/mnt/hgfs/myfolders"
00:00:45.415977 VMMDev: Guest Log: 00:00:15.019832 automount Error: VBoxServiceAutoMountWorker: Failed to unmount "/mnt/hgfs/sf_myfolders", Invalid argument (22)!
00:03:41.033484 VMMDev: Guest Log: 00:00:15.010897 automount Error: VBoxServiceAutoMountWorker: Failed to unmount "/mnt/hgfs/sf_myfolders", Invalid argument (22)!

Note that the first one referring to sf_myfolders appeared to work, as did the myfolders, then there are two references to automounting/unmounting. Can you see the same thing?

cdobrowolski
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, I see essentially the same readings.

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

I don't know how au fait you are with Unix terminal, but if you are, what are the permissions on your myfolders directory?

ls -l ~/Documents/SAS/SASUniversityEdition/

I get

drwxr-xr-x  24 xxxxxx  staff  816 27 Feb 11:31 myfolders
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

OK, if you use Finder to navigate to the directory where your SASUniversityEdition folder is, select it and get info (command-I); you should see down the bottom (yourname (MS) and Privilege of Read & Write. You should see the same for myfolder. If not, that may be your problem.

After that, as the young things say, I've got nothing.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation