MacBook Pro configuration for SAS

New Contributor

MacBook Pro configuration for SAS

Hi all,

I'm new here and need some advice for choosing a computer for a portable SAS solution for a new job. We will be running a bibliometric database with 40 million records. The largest table is around 600 million rows. The main parts of the database is around 230 MB when loaded in SAS format. We are running the SAS server on our laptops for portability.

Since I like Apple hardware and Mac OS X and want to be portable, I'm planning to purchase a 13" MacBook Pro (retina) and run SAS in a Windows installation.

The MacBook is planned to have the following configuration: 2.8 MHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD disk. I'm planning to install Windows 7 64bit in Boot Camp and run the same installation as virtual guest OS via Parallels or VMWare. I would allocate 5-6 GB RAM to the Windows guest OS when running in virtual mode.

Do you think that this configuration would run SAS with decent performance for an analysis of 600 million rows in a 230 MB dataset?

Does anyone have experience running SAS in virtualisation using Parallels or VMWare? Any preferences?

Thanks for any advice,

Ulf

Super User

Re: MacBook Pro configuration for SAS

It'll run 

Get 16GB and i7 if you can afford it, I prefer VMWare over parallels.  Partition and install via Bootcamp for fastest performance but it will still take time to process 600 million rows.

New Contributor

Thanks for your advice Reeza.

Of cource it would be better with an i7 and 16 GB RAM, but unfortunately, our budget won't allow that extra cost.

Any special reason why you prefer VMWare Fusion over Parallels Desktop?

// Ulf

Super User

At the time of set up (a long time ago) VM ware allowed me to use my bootcamp partition as a VM machine while Parallels didn't, it wanted an actual VM. 

Not sure where that stands now.

VMWare allows more access to cores/memory but with 8GB that's probably not an issue.

New Contributor

Thanks again Reeza,

Parallels runs with boot camp now.

Another question: have you had any problems entering special characters for SAS programming, using the Mac keyboard in Windows? I'll be using a Swedish keyboard.

// Ulf

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation