BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
clim072
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear all,

I wanted to set up a macro to run quite a few logistic regression models. My question is how to I code it in such a way that

for the first 10 models, the macro would use bi as the dependent variable, for the next 10 models, use bi2 as the dependent variable etc.

The codes highlighted in purple wouldnt work.

%MACRO a;

%IF 1 <= &i <= 10 %THEN %DO; %LET &dep = bi; %END;

%IF 11 <= &i <= 20 %THEN %DO; %LET &dep = bi2; %END;

%IF 21 <= &i <= 30 %THEN %DO; %LET &dep = bi3; %END;

PROC LOGISTIC DATA = x;

MODEL &dep (REF = "Yes")= &indep;

RUN;

%MEND a;

%a(indep = mde, i = 1)

%a (indep = pds, i = 2)

%a (indep = pts, i = 3)

%a (indep = so, i = 4)

%a (indep = sp, i = 5)

:

%a(indep = pe, i = 30)

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

I can see several problems there.

• You haven't defined the parameters in your macro definition - calling the macro with them when they haven't been defined will cause an error
  • The if condition doesn't work like that for macro code, sadly; you have to expand it
  • The way you're referring to dep is wrong - you're referring to the value of dep, not to the macro variable itself.

Try it like this:

%MACRO a(indep=, i=);
%if %eval(&i >= 1 and &i <= 10)
    %then %let dep = bi;
    %else %if %eval(&i >= 11 and &i <= 20)
    %then %let dep = bi2;
    %else %if %eval(&i >= 21 and &i <= 30)
    %then %let dep = bi3;
PROC LOGISTIC DATA = x;
RUN;
%MEND a;

The %eval isn't strictly necessary, but I always use it - it tends to pick up typing mistakes faster that I inevitably introduce to my code! I also like to use %else like this, where the conditions are mutually exclusive; sadly macro code doesn't have a %select statement. (Indentation like this not obligatory, of course…)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The %IF statement, really the implied %EVAL() function call, will not convert 

A <= B <= C

into

(A<=B) and (B<=C)

like the IF statement will.   

So you need to do that yourself.

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

I can see several problems there.

• You haven't defined the parameters in your macro definition - calling the macro with them when they haven't been defined will cause an error
  • The if condition doesn't work like that for macro code, sadly; you have to expand it
  • The way you're referring to dep is wrong - you're referring to the value of dep, not to the macro variable itself.

Try it like this:

%MACRO a(indep=, i=);
%if %eval(&i >= 1 and &i <= 10)
    %then %let dep = bi;
    %else %if %eval(&i >= 11 and &i <= 20)
    %then %let dep = bi2;
    %else %if %eval(&i >= 21 and &i <= 30)
    %then %let dep = bi3;
PROC LOGISTIC DATA = x;
RUN;
%MEND a;

The %eval isn't strictly necessary, but I always use it - it tends to pick up typing mistakes faster that I inevitably introduce to my code! I also like to use %else like this, where the conditions are mutually exclusive; sadly macro code doesn't have a %select statement. (Indentation like this not obligatory, of course…)

Astounding
PROC Star

Since you have control of &i as a parameter, you don't really need to safeguard against unusual values.  You could simplify this to:

%if &i <= 10 %then %let dep = bi;

%else %if &i <= 20 then %let dep = bi2;

%else %let dep = bi3;

It's remotely possibly that the original %LET statements were correct.  More likely, the %LET statements should assign a value to DEP (as illustrated above), not to &DEP (as in your original code).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation