BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TheBeach
Calcite | Level 5

Hey!

I am a total beginner in SAS but I have to use it for my bachelor thesis. So my problem is: I have this data set of which you can see a very small extract below (form view). I now want to loop through this table and for every Underlying_Symbol, every date, every Expiration and every strk_prc I want to create a new observation in a new table that contains this information and another variable calculated from the sum over the tradeprices of trades with that specific Underlying, date, ....

It would even help me if someone can show me how I loop over these four variables of my data, especially the date.

Thanks in advance!!!

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Please post example data in a data step with datalines. A macro for converting exsiting datasets to such a data step can be found here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat....

Advice for posting code is found here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/posting?nobounce.

Posting Word documents (or Excel files) is not helpful, as many of us won't or can't open them from the web for security reasons.

Program text can be easily copy/pasted to our SAS environment and submitted.

ballardw
Super User

Also along with a small example data set, should be just enough records to show the type of data and use cases you have, an example of the desired output would be helpful.

It may not hurt to describe what will be done with the resultant data set as well. A common issue for many new users of SAS depending on prior experience to attempt to duplicate step-by-step a process used by other software that can be done in SAS with procedures.

For instance this phrase: "calculated from the sum over the tradeprices of trades with that specific Underlying, date, ...." (besides being incomplete at the ...) would suggest that you want to sum a variable grouped by one or more other variables.

One way would be proc means:

Proc means data=yourdatasetnamegoeshere sum;

class underlyingdate; /* grouping variable or variables go here*/

var tradeprice;

run;

This doesn't create an output set but can. But start by seeing if this gets the sums you want. [ Hint: create a small subset of the data and test on that where you could see if the result is close.]

Another large economy sized hint is to make sure that your SAS date variables are SAS date valued numeric. This is important as there are a largish number of functions to manipulate dates and SAS can create date-based summaries of different time intervals by just changing a display format.

Reeza
Super User

SAS loops automatically so you don't need any loops I suspect. 

It also does BY group processing so you can do similar functions across groups of data. 

If you're working with time series, you'll want to look at PROC EXPAND to calculate statistics such as moving averages, means or standard deviation. Make sure to find the examples in the documentation that show how these tasks can be accomplished.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation