Logistic regression for continuous predictor

Contributor

Logistic regression for continuous predictor

Standard logistic regression works for predict binary 0 & 1. Now I have a data set with predict value between 0 and 1, such as 0.2, 0.5, .... How can use logistic regression build a model out of it? thanks.

Trusted Advisor

Re: Logistic regression for continuous predictor

Your question is not clear. Please provide more info.

Contributor

For example, I have a sample, which contains 100 pool information. there are some independent variables which are pool average characteristics, such as loan size, loan coupon. I have a predictor variable, which is a pool average of 0 and 1, so they 0.115, 0.234, .... I want to build a logistic regression model to predict (0.115, 0.234, ...) from pool average characteristics, such as pool average loan size etc. If the predictor are 90, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, ..). Then it's easy to do. But for continuous variable, I can not use proc logistic to do it. Is there a way out? Thanks.

Jian

Trusted Advisor

As your dependent variable is continuous so try proc reg instead of logistic regression.

Contributor

proc reg is sum of each component, I want to do multiplying of each component. Thanks.

SAS Employee

1. You can take the logarithm of variables, and create a model using those new variables.

2. If you want to model a proportion, maybe you could use PROC GENMOD with DIST=GAMMA

Do I understand correctly: individual data is not available, only aggregated?

Contributor

1. logarithm is not a linear transformation, so optimal fit for logarithm of variables are not optimal fit for the variables themselves. I have proved this.

2. Can you explain more how to use DIST=GAMMA? Normally I use d=b.

Thanks.

SAS Employee

1. You are right. But it also depends how you define "optimal", what are your model assumtions, and how you transform "back" your predicted variable (if you transformed the target variable)

2. Sorry, it is not GAMMA it is BETA. But beta distribution is not available in GENMOD.

So what about his?

proc glimmix data=input;

model target=x1 / d=beta;

run;

With GLIMMIX you might find the appropriate model you need (with, or without variable transformations).

Contributor

For 1, what do you mean how your transform "back" your predicted variable? Is there more than 1 way to transform back? I just exp() it back.

Thanks.

Jian

SAS Employee

When you transform predictions using exp(log_target) you will get the unbiased prediction of the median on the original scale.

To get an unbiased  prediction of the mean on the original scale use: exp(log_target+0.5*std**2)

std is the prediction standard deviation.

This is true if your log transformed variable is (conditionally) normally disributed (the original variable is lognormal).

Trusted Advisor

Hi Gergely,

Just to learn more about this a quick question, does exp(log_target) provide unbiased prediction of median or geometric mean?

Thanks,

Naeem

SAS Employee

Unbiased estimation of the median.

On the log scale the prediction of the mean is the prediction of the median at the same time. (Remember, we have a normally distributed variable (on the log scale), which is a symetric distribution.)

Now, if you apply a monotonic function (like exp()) to the prediction... the median still sits in the middle of the distribution Smiley Happy

I don't know what happens to the geometric mean.

Trusted Advisor

Thanks - Just trying to understand this because when we exponent like exp(log_target) we end up with geometric mean.

SAS Employee

stat@sas: I thought about it and you are right. In case of exp mean becomes the geometric mean (and also remains the median). Thx.

Contributor

Cool. How can I get prediction standard deviation? From the model fit, I got the std of the fitted parameter, then how obtain predictor std base on this? thanks.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation