BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SambitNandi
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I am trying to load a .WPD file (created using WPS) into SAS.

Please let me know how to do it. Any help appreciated

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

What does the file format actually look like.  Never heard of this WPS, so I don't expect an out of the box solution.  I would save from your original application to an open easy to read file format - CSV, XML etc. - then read that in.

SambitNandi
Fluorite | Level 6
I found a solution in another forum, but did not make much sense to me.

http://www.talkstats.com/showthread.php/56302-How-to-read-a-.wpd-file-inot-sas-data-set
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

That doesn't make much sense because they are talking about two different things.  The OP is talking about reading in a proprietary external file, the responder is talking about setting up a libary to a dataset.  Different things.  Again, I don;t know what the file format is, you need to get it into a useable format, probably from the delivering person.  Or maybe it is a text file already, have you tried opening it in Notepad?

Reeza
Super User

WPS allows you to save a sas7bdat file. I rcommend using WPS to create a new file instead of trying to get the WPS file read. I'm not sure it's possible to read a WPS file into SAS. 

ballardw
Super User

Likely best bet would be to open in a word processor and save as text. I believe WPD means a fairly old WordPerfect document. Then try importing that.

But since word processor documents are not generally intended for data they tend to be poorly sturctured for turning into data sets.

SambitNandi
Fluorite | Level 6
@Reeza Yes. I am also realizing that WPS can read SAS datasets but not the other way round. Is there any SAS documentation stating it is not supported?
Reeza
Super User

Not as far as I'm aware, but SAS suing WPS leads me to think they're not going to support it. 

I believe the WPS documentation does state that WPS datasets are not compatible with SAS. 

Reeza
Super User

Here's the code you can use in WPS to create a SAS7BDAT file.

FYI I still had issues with file even though its supposed to be SAS compatible.

libname out sas7bdat 'path to folder';

data out.mydataset;
set dataset;
run;

libname out;

manojinpec
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Could you please let me know what specific problems you have encountered when you create a SAS7BDAT  file from WPS.

Regards,

manoj Bansal

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

A minor issue might be this thread is from over a year ago.

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

Also I'm not sure we should be helping people with WPS related problems given the history - "Just use SAS" would be my response...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation