BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JPM333
Calcite | Level 5

I'm a longtime Cobol programmer on the Mainframe who is now trying to learn SAS on the Mainframe. My first two wrong steps were I purchased both The little SAS Enterprise Guide Book and SAS for Dummies both of which are great if you want to learn on a PC but pretty much worthless on the mainframe.

Does anyone know of a book I can use to learn SAS on the Mainframe, something I can use to look up the proper syntax or looking up how to do this or that?

To say I'm frustrated would be an understatement.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a book (available through SAS Press) that might be more suitable for your needs.

Learning SAS by Example:  A Programmer's Guide

Author is Ron Cody.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Those books will be helpful.  Most of SAS does not depend on the machine.  This might help

http://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=hosto390&docsetTarget=titlepage.htm&docsetVersion=9.4&loca...

JPM333
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the link, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

Astounding
PROC Star

A few recommendations to get you started ...

Ask a SAS programmer for a sample JOB and EXEC statement.  Technically, that's enough to get you started.

Add a DD statement for an existing text file, that you can use as source data for your experiments.  (You'll be reading it only, not writing to it.)

SAS used to publish (maybe still does) a SAS Companion for each operating system.  I don't recall the name specifically, but it would be something like SAS Companion for the Mainframe, or SAS Companion for OS/370 ... something along those lines.

Write a SAS program to read the data from your DD statement into a SAS data set.

Coupled with what you already have, that should be more than enough to move in the right direction.

Good luck.

JPM333
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for information. I have the basics already, I just want something more that I can use as reference or more advanced programing.

WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Sorry.  Links for SAS employees and the rest of the world are different.

I googled: sas companion for mvs 9.4 

See if this version works for you.  I am trying to point you to the SAS companion for the mainframe.

http://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=hosto390&docsetTarget=titlepage.htm&docsetVersion=9.4&loca...

JPM333
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, this link worked. It seems this and the book listed are what I need.

Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a book (available through SAS Press) that might be more suitable for your needs.

Learning SAS by Example:  A Programmer's Guide

Author is Ron Cody.

JPM333
Calcite | Level 5

I'm going to spend more and buy this as well, thank you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation