Learning Base SAS when SAS EG Installed

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Learning Base SAS when SAS EG Installed

Hi, 

This could well be a dumb question but I am unsure and cannot find the answer online. I use SAS EG at work but I wish to learn Base SAS to expand my skills.

What is the best way to do this? I am writing as many manual programs as possible, rather than using the query builder, but I realise EG is still doing a lot of things I would have to code manually in Base, and I want to learn Base as comprehensively as possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-12-2018 06:14 AM
Super User
Super User

Re: Learning Base SAS when SAS EG Installed

I wouldn't worry too much about what goes on behind the scenes in EG.  Just focus on writing manual programs, as once you know that then you will know most features of Bsae SAS.  Sure libraries might have different paths, some setup might be done for you and such like, but nothing major.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎03-12-2018 06:14 AM
Super User
Super User

I wouldn't worry too much about what goes on behind the scenes in EG.  Just focus on writing manual programs, as once you know that then you will know most features of Bsae SAS.  Sure libraries might have different paths, some setup might be done for you and such like, but nothing major.  

Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then
Super User

That's actually very simple: only use a program window in EG. Do not use any EG tasks. The only thing that EG still does for you is the handling of the ODS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser
Thanks Kurt, I will investigate the ODS a bit more at some point
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation