BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
scify
Obsidian | Level 7

So I have the output of a TABULATE constructed as so:

proc tabulate data=super.whytrends out=tabulate format=comma8.1;

class district screwed whichyear;

table distrcit, whichyear*screwed*(n rowpctn)/printmiss;

format district district. screwed screwed.;

where whichyear=2007 or whichyear=2013;

run;

Screwed is a dummy variable.

I then sorted it based on district and screwed, which left me with a dataset that looks like this:

District      Whichyear      Screwed       n        percent

Dist1         2007               0                   X       Y

Dist1         2013               0                   X       Y

Dist1         2007               1                   X       Y

Dist1         2013               1                   X       Y

etc...

Using http://www.lexjansen.com/nesug/nesug07/cc/cc16.pdf as a reference, I then used lag() to compare the data between different years of the screwed variable.

data tabulate; merge tabulate(drop=_type_ _page_ _table_) otherfile1 otherfile2;

by circdist;

seven_pct=lag(pctn_100);

if whichyear=2007 then seven_pct=.;

if whichyear=2013 then diff=pctn_100-seven_pct;

run;

This works, but it isn't extensible if I wanted to compare more years. However, when I tried to replace the whichyear= statements with first.screwed and not first.screwed, SAS tossed a "Variable first.screwed is not initialized" error. Is this because screwed isn't part of the by statement? If so, can I put it in the by statement even though it isn't in otherfile1 and otherfile2?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

To use first. and last. notation the variable has to be on the by statement. Since Merge will get odd results. Merge the data. Then use the Merged data in a separate data step to use the first and last.

data tabulate; merge tabulate(drop=_type_ _page_ _table_) otherfile1 otherfile2;

by circdist;

run;

data tabulate;

set tabulate;

by  cirdist whichyear screwed;

<calculations here>

run;

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

To use first. and last. notation the variable has to be on the by statement. Since Merge will get odd results. Merge the data. Then use the Merged data in a separate data step to use the first and last.

by circdist;

run;

data tabulate;

set tabulate;

by  cirdist whichyear screwed;

<calculations here>

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation