BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
soumya12
Calcite | Level 5

I have a dataset of several hospitals. There are several variables. One of the variables is MEASURE ID. I want to keep only those rows that have MEASURE ID= PSI_90 and drop the rest of the rows. How can I do that? I am a beginner so please excuse me if the question is too basic. Thanks in advance.

SU

7 REPLIES 7
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Use next code:

data want;
    set have;
        where MEASURE ID= PSI_90;
run;
soumya12
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Schmuel:

Thanks for your reply. I tried that but all I get is a new dataset which is empty. Has 0 observations. Could you please advise. My original dataset looks like the one in the screen shot attached.

SU

VirtualBox_windows10_14_03_2017_00_31_51.png
ballardw
Super User

Since you did not provide any data in the original post @Shmuel had to guess that you meant when one variable was equal to another not a text value.

data want;
    set have;
    where MEASURE ID= "PSI_90";
run;

might work, but your posted picture shows a value of PSI_90_SAFETY. If that is the value you are looking for then that is the string to place between the quotes.

Spelling counts in programming.

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

I see your issue:

You are not looking for 

MEASURE ID= PSI_90;

as there is no variabled named PSI_90.

NOR for

MEASURE ID= "PSI_90";

as yvalues are in a format of:  PSI_nn_xxxxx

So the right code should be:

data want;
    set have;
    where upcase(substr(MEASURE ID,1,6)) = "PSI_90";
run;

soumya12
Calcite | Level 5

I am looking for scores for only those rows in which Measure ID= PSI_90_SAFETY. So, I want the first two variables in my resulting dataset to look like: ProviderID, PSI_90_Score. The second variable PSI_90_Score is renamed from the variable Score. And I am looking for scores only for PSI_90_SAFETY and drop everything else. Please help!!

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Do you use any documentation of sas ?

You can compare any character variable - either to another variable like:

if var1 = var2   |    if var1 > var2   etc.

or you can compare it to a literal, exact equation like:

if var = "any string"     |  if var = 'other string'   etc.

or you can compare to an expression as I have done:    

where upcase(substr(MEASURE ID,1,6)) = "PSI_90";

the difference between IF and WHERE is the timing of compare.

WHERE is executed towards the input buffer while the IF is executed after bringing the record to work area.

I have used two functtions:

1) the inner SUBSTRING with 3 arguments: variable name (string to check), start position, end position 

2) the outer UPCASE in order to be sure that I comapr to upper case as in "PSI..." literal.

With this information I expect that you can solve yourself your last question - just change the literal you want to compare to.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Since your example showed PSI_90 as being part of the value PSI_90 safety, I'd think you're looking for something like:

data want;
  set have (where=(measure_id contains 'PSI_90'));
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation