Kaplan-Meier plot for up to two recurrent time-to-event data

New Contributor

Kaplan-Meier plot for up to two recurrent time-to-event data

Dear fellow SAS users,

I have a dataset on time to occlusions, where half of the patients had bilateral treatments with possibly bilateral occlusions that are correlated. How can I make the Kaplan-Meier plot for time to occlusions, taking into account those bilateral occlusions within patients?

I've found some literature about survival analysis on recurrent events, the problem here is that not all patients have recurrent events, and the number of recurrent events is up to two.

Any suggestions to SAS code or literature will be greatly appreciated!

Super User

Re: Kaplan-Meier plot for up to two recurrent time-to-event data

Maybe totally off base here, especially since I'm having a hard time following the med term on a late Friday afternoon.

SAS FAQ: How to model repeated events survival analysis using proc phreg?

New Contributor

Thanks for your reply Reeza! Allow me to rephrase here:

I have a dataset on time to events, where half of the samples could develop up to two events and therefore have two time points that are correlated. How can I make the Kaplan-Meier plot for time to events, taking into account those two events within samples?

I've found some literature about survival analysis on recurrent events, the problem here is that not all samples have recurrent events, and the number of recurrent events is up to two.

Any suggestions to SAS code or literature will be greatly appreciated!

Super User

I don't know that a KM plot can account for that.

In terms of analysis, the reason you use survival analysis is because not all observations may have an event so that shouldn't be an issue. From your description a counting process model does seem like it would fit the analysis requirements.

New Contributor

Appreciate your response! Now the data is highly unbalanced (only half of the samples could develop two events), and the number of events is only up to two. Do you think a counting process would still work in this scenario?

Super User

What's the research question?

New Contributor

The question is: How to plot Kaplan-Meier with the type of data I mentioned in previous posts, accounting for correlation between two events within the same samples.

Thanks for your help!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation