Java updates - what needs to be updated in SAS?

Contributor

Java updates - what needs to be updated in SAS?

At my office we are using SAS 9.3 on Windows 7 Enterprise.

Up until today, I haven't had *many* problems with SAS and JAVA, but it looks like IT just updated JAVA, so now when I start SAS I see the following:

saserror.png

It looks like the JAVA program is now at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe.

And when I look in sassw.config, JREHOME points to c:\program files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_24\bin\java.exe.

I have no permissions/access rights to change anything in the program files folders. So, before I call IT and ask for a change, will updating the SASSW.CONFIG file to point to c:\Program files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe solve my problem?

Or is there something else they need to change?

Thanks!

Super User

Re: Java updates - what needs to be updated in SAS?

That's the only change required. We had exactly the same issue a few months back.

Contributor

Just tried... no luck. Smiley Sad Still have the same error message.

Super User

Try running PROC OPTIONS and check the JREOPTIONS settings. While the above fix worked for SAS Java clients (eg SAS Management Console) there maybe more to do to configure desktop SAS.

Contributor

Thanks! I ran proc options and it looks like dsas.jre.libjvm is still pointing to the old Java jvm.dll file and that this is specified in the sasv9.config file, so I will see if I can get someone with admin rights to come update that.  Hopefully that is the only other file that needs changing!

Seems like it would be easier to just have a place in the SAS program to set the Java version/location options without having to go into all these config files. Almost everyone at my work has problems with SAS and Java... and to make it better, everyone has slightly different problems with SAS and Java... So no solution seems to work for everyone. I wonder if it is just us or if other places have these problems as well.

Super User

I suspect that the reason why this problem has arisen is the increase in security problems being reported for Java. Hence organisations are keen to roll out later Java versions with security holes fixed.

I agree it would be nice if it was easier in SAS to change Java versions, but it is probably not something that will be fixed in a hurry.

Good luck with getting it sorted!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation