Issues with dates

Occasional Contributor

Issues with dates

Hi there,

My data has date variables in the format of ddmmyyyy10. , however when I try to manually update the dataset (directly using the table view) it will only accept the format mmddyyyy. It also displays the data in mmddyyyy and I'm not sure why. This makes it extremely hard when I need to update 45000 rows via a copy and paste and only some rows copy as they should (probably not the best way to update data but I've got my reasons and its a one off).

Anyone know how I can somehow correct this and get my dates to display as they should?

Super User

Re: Issues with dates

What client are you using?

Enterprise Guide for instance is overriding data set date formats by using a format connected to the current Windows locale.

Data never sleeps
Occasional Contributor

Yes I'm using EG. How can I change it? My current Windows set up is set at AU ...

Super User

Depends on your Windows version.

In 8.1, go to Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Language, then chose "Change date, time or number settings" on the left.

By the way, why do you need to update that amount of records manually? Can't you do it pro grammatically, by some logic or by a transaction data set?

Data never sleeps
Occasional Contributor

Windows is already formatted to d/mm/yyyy. The variable in my dataset is formatted to ddmmyy. Screenshots below.

Windowns Date Setup.PNGSAS Properties.PNG

The below screen shots are of the variable. The first one is entered in ddmmyy format (5th December), however is displayed in mmddyy format when viewing the dataset.

Active.PNGEntered.PNG

The reason I'm updating them with a copy and paste is because my dataset became corrupt. I had a copy of the data in excel format and was hoping a quick copy and paste to correct the data would work. I thought it would have been quicker but going by the issues I'm having with these dates, it would have been quicker if I just created a temp dataset and overwrite the old one!!!

Super User

Yes, quicker and safer...

Data never sleeps
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation