BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Does anyone else have a problem with intermittent logoffs from the Community?  One several occasions, starting about mid-December 2013, I will find myself hitting the submit button, only to have the site say "Welcome, Anonymous", and I have to restart.  It's pretty frustrating when I lose a four or five paragraph response.  I don't think it is connectivity on my end, but that could be what is happening.  I need to know if anyone else has encountered this problem before I go complaining to our IT infrastructure group.  Thanks in advance.

Steve Denham

9 REPLIES 9
ballardw
Super User

I find quite often the first link I go to will show as anonymous. My clue is usually no Reply button is available, so I don't lose any posts. Since it isn't all of the time I suspect it may have something to do with traffic volume on the SAS side.

reneeharper
SAS Employee

Thank you for posting this comment.  The problem is generally as described below, but I'll verify this answer with our IT staff to ensure that we aren't having performance problems or other access issues.

All of our Web properties have some timeout rules due to inactivity.  The communities site caches a lot of the page to decrease load time.  Occasionally, it appears that you are still logged in until the page is forced to refresh.  At the refresh, your credentials are rechecked.  You may be experiencing this, shall we say, phenomenon.    I'll let you all know if I discover that anything else has been going on.

PS.  I know that we had to restart the servers yesterday due to network issues. That would also log you off.  Keep me posted if this continues to happen.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

, some times I see that.  But what has been happening as well is that I will hit Reply, the window will open, I write and paste in code, and when I hit the Add Reply button, I get kicked to a splash page that says I need to Log In.  I have started writing all my answers in Notepad++ and pasting them into the window to avoid losing what I have written.  And that is just a PITA.

The timeout rule seems to be applied from the time of initial opening, not from time of opening the Reply window, and obviously it is not monitoring keystrokes within the window as a measure of activity, because it will flip my status in the midst of typing.

Steve Denham

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Just now re-occurred.  Time was 3:28 PM EST, 10January2014.  Was there a server issue or a high traffic issue at this time?

Steve Denham

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Another re-occurrence.  Time was 9:28 AM EST, 13January2014.

Steve Denham

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

And again at 1:53 PM 17January2014.  It seems worse if I use the pull down menu for Browse>Places.

Steve Denham

reneeharper
SAS Employee

I have opened a case with our IT department. Thank you for providing such great feedback. I will send you a direct email with any additional questions or  updates that we have.

Have others experienced this problem?

reneeharper
SAS Employee

We pushed a login fix this afternoon.  It may fix the problem that you reported.  We had a really hard time reproducing your problem.  After you log out and log in again, can you let me know if this continues to happen to you?

Thanks so much.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Well, I haven't seen it in a while.  I did notice that in going from screen to screen last week, I would occasionally be prompted to log in, as I had become ANONYMOUS.  Not this week however.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation