BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
csetzkorn
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

My log file contains this error message:

ERROR: Insufficient memory.
ERROR: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of insufficient memory.

Ussually this is due insufficient space for WORK library datasets but i have been assured by our IT support that Saswork is currently only 56% full. What can I do to find out more details about this error to ultimately solve this issue? Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Insufficient memory points to RAM, not disk.

Please post the log including the step that caused the ERROR, and some information about the dataset(s) used (variables, number of observations, cardinality of class variables, if such were used)

mnjtrana
Pyrite | Level 9

What proc are you running or is it datastep? Please provide the logic where you encountered the issue.

You can also try checking what's your memsize setting at your end. You can try increasing the memsize and see if that works for you.

options memsize=max;

Cheers from India !

Manjeet

Cheers from India!

Manjeet
csetzkorn
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
thanks - so inclusion of: options memsize=max; in my driver SAS program would not make any difference (did not get an error message).
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

As an addendum: MEMSIZE problems often point to inefficient programming. Around here, the workspace server (9.2) runs with 192 MB, and we very rarely run into memory problems. Most often this is caused by using summary procedures with a class instead of a by, and the class variables having a high cardinality.

csetzkorn
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Agrree but sometimes you inherit inefficient code and you do not have time to optimize (-:
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@csetzkorn wrote:
Agrree but sometimes you inherit inefficient code and you do not have time to optimize (-:

If you do not have the time to do something right, then why are you doing it anyway? Not having the time to correct things is the one poor excuse that perpetuates shitty code. Because the next time that bullshit code causes you grief, you get into even more trouble and have even less time to fix it, and on and on and on. Until you find that you have wasted a man-month by not taking the one hour that would have fixed it in the first place.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation