Insufficient memory Issue

Frequent Contributor

Insufficient memory Issue

Hi,

Whenever I run a job with huge source data,I am getting this following error.

Error : An error occured while attempting to retrieve the output.Insufficient memory.

Where I need to increase the memory space?

Kindly help me on his to solve this problem.

Valued Guide

Re: Insufficient memory Issue

You have give very little information on what is going on.

What was the last thing went ok and what type of processing is it that is causing this issue?

Are there more messages?

What tool(s) are you using Eguide or classic SAS DMS? 

By now it could be:

- insufficient diskspace for your result dataset

- Insufficient diskspace for saswork

- one of the many internal memory options

- running out os spool-space for eg log-window

- running out of space somewher in JVM

- (whatever)

Some reduction in all these possibilities is needed

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Frequent Contributor

Sorry Jaap,

I am using SAS Data Integrator Studio 4.2

Super User

The short answer is yes.

If you want some help on how (much), you need to provide much more information, DI Studio itself has nothing to do with memory consumption, it is the work done in the WorskSpace server that matters.

So, in what kind of step does this occur?

How much data is involved?

How much physical memory is available on the server?

What are the memory options set to in the workspace server session?

Data never sleeps
Valued Guide

SAS(R) Data Integration Studio 4.4: User's Guide (Starting SAS Data Integration Studio)

SAS(R) Data Integration Studio 4.21: User's Guide SAS 9.2 related is missing that notes.

IT is at: SAS(R) 9.2 Intelligence Platform: Desktop Application Administration Guide (Managing the Java Heap Used By Desktop Applications). There are more java options related to memory.

If it is DI giving the errors it is probably the JVM  xmx and others of that running out of resources

It could be you are not able to increase or correct that. Need is acces to the ini-file and the OS must have given enough to you.   Every version of DI has his own settings and issues on this. 

Valued Guide

IF your error is not coming with the SAS-DI usage but it is a result of your job transformations processing there is something different.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Jaap,

I am getting this error only in Data Valiadtion transformation.Do u know  whats  the reason for this.

I am new to this SAS DI. kindly help me .

Valued Guide

Di studio itself is build in JAVA. When the DI studio runs out of memory within the DI project there is a jvm message to that.
These are difficult to read and debug as the jave source of DI is from SAS institute. IT is their java source code.
Why there errors in it? Software without errors does not exist. Even IEFBR14, (a "do nothing" program), had to be fixed many times. 

When you are getting an error while processing the SAS jobs you normally review and debug the code in the SAS-log

The memory errors I got was while exporting a project. By that hitting the xmx settings being well documented

As you have errors in one rather simple transformation it is not the same.

It could be that this transformation/Di metadata has got corrupted.

It could the project had grown too big.  You are not the first one. See:  http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/271-2009.pdf

The other memory related error I experienced was the dentityenpansionlimit, something with internal java tables. Hitting one type of transformation.

Do you have support guys for your installation for this?     

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation