Installing AMO SAS add-in on windows server MS office

Contributor

Installing AMO SAS add-in on windows server MS office

We have a windows virtual server connected to SAS grid.

I have to create several (100+) excel related reports to business users.

Instead of getting SAS add-in AMO (add-in for MS Office) license for each users, I thought why not install the MS Office non-OEM, non-retail version on our windows server and add the SAS AMO into it. I will then create those excel reports linking SAS data, which will refresh the data in excel and the report. I will provide access to the server to business users, so they can open and get the updated reports on the fly or provide them a static copy of the file including a VBA script on the original file to refresh the file every 10min or so.

Anyone has taken this approach?

Is this possible and allowed?

Thanks,

Venkat

Esteemed Advisor

Re: Installing AMO SAS add-in on windows server MS office

AMO does not have a price tag, so I'd roll it out to the client PCs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Contributor

Thanks, but I asked SAS institute, they told me it is a part of the SAS Enterprise BI server items (I think there are ~19 items) and everyone needs SAS license. I think SAS institute should keep the AMO separate, free and unlimited (after all it is just an excel add-on, you can't really do anything without supplementing SAS codes to create those stored processes). Most of the business folks being excel users, it would help the company to automate several things. 

Respected Advisor

The only way this would work would be if you allowed all of your SAS users to remotely log into your virtual SAS server and each one then started Excel in a remote terminal session. Excel is not a client/server application so requires a "local" display.

Many IT departments restrict remote logins to servers to administrators only, because of the complications and security headaches it can cause, let alone having many users all running Excel at the same time.

Have you discussed this with your IT support folks? I suspect you will get some interesting responses....

Contributor

SAS admin I asked was not responding. We don't work directly with the IT department. I think the reason you wrote is what stopping them to respond to me. I was thinking if this fails, I may have to run bunch of VBA in my computer updating the excel SAS data in the background and then linking those files somewhere business users can access. Or possibly I would get a dedicated computer with the SAS license and then do the same. I wonder how everyone is handling these situations when it comes to sending reports to different groups of business users with the updated tables. They don't like emailing bunch of reports and don't want to login to SAS BI web links every time. I thought of asking for SSO (single sign on) possibility. Any of your business users using SSO with the SAS BI tools? How to make this easier for business users? Any ideas? Thanks!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation