BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Altal
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Everyone,

I have a dataset (named "problems") with few variables ID, date, Note

I'd like to run PROC SQL to query another database dataset and based on that query I update (problems) from the query I run, so that ID = ID from the query, Date = date from the query, and Note = (some other data pulled from the query in the form of "Complete=yes/no  Dropped=yes/not") with Complete, and Dropped being two separate variables in the database

for example:

ID     Date     Note

---------------------------

1     1/1/2014     Complete=yes Dropped =no

2     2/6/2014     Complete=n Dropped =no

having trouble with syntax

plz help...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you are writing an SQL insert statement you should list the variables that you are inserting into. This will solve issue of trying to provide values for only some of the variables.  It will also allow you to not care what order the variables are on the table.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/61895/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a002294531.htm

insert into problems (id,date,note)

select id,date,catx(' ',catx('=','Completed',completed),catx('=','Dropped',dropped))

from HAVE

;

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Something like (note its really a bit of guess as you haven't supplied much information):

proc sql;

create table WANT as

select     COALESCE(A.ID,B.ID) as ID,

COALESCE(A.DATE,B.DATE) as DATE,

"Complete="||case when A.VAL is not null then "yes" else "no" end||

" Dropped="||case when B.VAL is not null then "yes" else "no" end as NOTE

from        DATA1 A

full join    DATA2 B

on           A.ID=B.ID

and          A.DATE=B.DATE;

quit;

Altal
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Roy - there is no join required; "Problem" is an empty dataset, that I want to update along the program (using INSERT statement in proc sql) by looking into other dataset and doing some queries

ID     Date      Completed      Dropped

1     1/1/2014     yes               yes

2     1/6/2014     yes               no

3     3/6/2014     yes               yes

so I just want to query the data above and insert these into an existing data called "problem" that has 3 variables (ID, Date, Note)

so that the output would be

ID    Date           Note

1     1/1/2014     Completed=yes  Dropped=yes

2     1/6/2014     Completed=yes  Dropped=no

3     3/6/2014     Completed=yes  Dropped=yes

hope this explains it better..

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Ok, (pretend I am Roy for a bit :smileyshocked:)

proc sql;

insert into PROBLEM

select      ID,

DATE,

"Completed="||strip(COMPLETED)||" Dropped="||strip(DROPPED) as NOTE

from        HAVE;

quit;

RamKumar
Fluorite | Level 6

why we've used '||' operator whilst calculating the variable completed?

"Completed="||strip(COMPLETED)||" Dropped="||strip(DROPPED) as NOTE

Also you've used two '||' for the first strip function and one || for the second strip function. Why so?

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

|| means concatenate the string on the left of the operator to the string on the right of the operator, the operator being ||.  So I want to concatenate "Completed=" and the variable completed, and the result of than concatenated with " Dropped=" and then concatenated with the variable DROPPED.  So three concatenators for four items.

Altal
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry, RW9, don't know why had the impression you're Roy ><

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You could of course just use normal SAS steps instead of SQL.

data have ;

length id date 8 completed dropped $3.;

informat date mmddyy10.;

format date date9.;

input id date completed dropped;

cards;

1     1/1/2014     yes               yes

2     1/6/2014     yes               no

3     3/6/2014     yes               yes

;

data to_insert / view=to_insert;

set have ;

length note $50 ;

note = catx(' ',catx('=','Completed',completed),catx('=','Dropped',dropped));

keep id date note;

run;

proc append data=to_insert base=problems;

run;

Altal
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks to you guys,

Tom is there away to circumvent this error, without inserting same number of variables in the dataset?

ERROR: Attempt to insert fewer columns than specified after the INSERT table name.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you are writing an SQL insert statement you should list the variables that you are inserting into. This will solve issue of trying to provide values for only some of the variables.  It will also allow you to not care what order the variables are on the table.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/61895/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a002294531.htm

insert into problems (id,date,note)

select id,date,catx(' ',catx('=','Completed',completed),catx('=','Dropped',dropped))

from HAVE

;

Altal
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Tom this is very helpful...

I added one more variable (a date variable) to the last inside the CATX, but it shows as number 19389 for example, how can I put is as a date (mmddyy10.)?

catx(' ',catx('=','Completed',completed),catx('=','Dropped',dropped), catx('=','Completion Date',compDate))

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Just replace the reference to the variable with this function call.

put(compDate,mmddyy10.)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation