Initializing enhanced editor window placement

Occasional Learner

Initializing enhanced editor window placement

First, I am running SAS 9.4, and my issue is with PC SAS under Windows 8.

I generally start a SAS session by opening SAS and then I decide which program I want to run.  When I open the program, either by double-clicking on the *.sas file or by dragging it to my SAS session window, the new enhanced editor window opens near the top, obscuring the other window-- often the log or output window.  I nearly always resize this window, making it a bit shorter (top to bottom), a bit wider, and place it over the bottom area-- the default location for enhanced editor windows.

How can I program SAS so that the new enhanced editor window will be sized and placed the way I want it?

Grand Advisor

Re: Initializing enhanced editor window placement

The only way I've found to get desired behavior is to close all editor windows first with the desired position/size closed last. Which obviously is not actually a good solution.

You aren't the first to ask and going back through several editions of SAS.

Super User
Super User

Does the Enhanced Editor window not support the WSAVE command that the normal program editor, log and output windows support?

Grand Advisor

[ Edited ]

@Tom whatever keeps the setting for the Enhanced editor only keeps one position. If no editor window is open then the positon/size are used. When a second editor window is opened then the new is opened using some default setting that apparently involves using about the top 40% of the SAS display area and almost the entire width. Subsequent windows open cascaded slightly down and to the right with the right margin the limit of the display area.

Super User
Super User

[ Edited ]

I don't see anyway to change that behavior.  Perhaps the original poster could move the defualt location of the Enchanced editor to the top and the log to the bottom.  THen when it opens multiple program windows they are all cascading in the same general area.

The behaviour looks like the values that these X settings used to control (at least back in the SAS 8 dayes).

||  as well as other X Window resources (window size, fonts, etc.).
SAS.sessionGravity:      NorthWestGravity
SAS.sessionGravityXOffset: 150
SAS.sessionGravityYOffset: 100

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation