BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tkallday33
Calcite | Level 5

Howdy folks,

Quick question that I can't seem to find an answer to. If I am substringing the year off of the MHDIAGYR_P variable like so:

diagyrch = substr(MHDIAGYR_P,8,4);

how would I then convert this diagyrch character variable to a numeric variable named diagyrnum?

I am trying something like this....

diagyrnum=input(diagyrch,date.);

However, I can't figure out what the correct informat to use is in my input function.

Here is an example value of MHDIAGYR_P:  UN-UNK-1984

so diagyrch = 1984 but I want SAS to read that as the Orwellian nineteen eighty-four.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Tyler

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

I'm not sure you gain any value in having a SAS date versus a 4 digit number.

If you can't find an information consider using 4. to convert to numeric and then MDY to create a date.

tkallday33
Calcite | Level 5

The reason I wanted a date format is because if I want to create a listing that has dates, and some have fully known dates, but some have UN-UNK-YYYY, and I want to use the same variable for both instances, where the variable I want to display is already a date format.

if CMSTDAT = . & substr(CMSTDAT_P,1,1)='U' then CMSTDAT = input(substr(CMSTDAT_P,8,4),4.);

The variable I want to use on my listing is CMSTDAT; however, the above code doesn't work because when I try to change the value of CMSTDAT (which is a blank numeric value, but CMSTDAT_P is a populated character value) it interprets the date wrong. Since SAS stores dates as the number of seconds away from Jan 1st 1960, could I convert the year value created from the input& substr functions by multiplying it out? If so how would I do that?

Thank you for your reply!

Reeza
Super User

You can't change a variable type in place.

But you can create a new variable, but you have to assign a day/month to the year as well.

if substr(CMSTDAT_P,1,1)='U' then CMSTDAT_DATE = mdy(1,1, input(substr(CMSTDAT_P,8,4),4.));

else CMSTDAT_DATE=input(cmstdat, date9.);

You might need to play around with that a bit as I'm not 100% sure what your data looks like. You may be better off posting a new question with what your data looks like and what you want.

EH
Obsidian | Level 7 EH
Obsidian | Level 7

Easiest way :

= substr(..) + 0;

Real programmers don't like the notes it generates, but to me it doesn't matter.

This "trick" also works in Excel 🙂

Another option : start with defining the diagyrch variable as numeric using a length statement.

length diagyrch 8;

Cheers,

Eric

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

It WILL matter to you, once you've been bitten in the ass by the consequences of an implicit type cast.

Any NOTE that goes beyond "dataset X created, with Y records and Z colums" raises a red flag with me.

Reeza
Super User

When doing a code review you have to check why all calculations generate errors/notes. This just adds to the list...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 4 in conversation