Infinite do-while loop

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Infinite do-while loop

Hi,
I would like to ask for your help we me problem. I created function which I am calling in the data step. This function is dynamically calling macro with different parameters. However, the function seems to stuck in infinite loop. I cannot find the cause of it.
Here is the function:

PROC FCMP OUTLIB = work.funcs.sql;
	FUNCTION func_create_train_datasets(output_table $, input_table_tgt1 $, datetgt1 $, input_table_tgt0 $, datetgt0 $, input_table_tgtALL $) $;
									/*"TrainDataHypoOut", "TGT1TrainData", "DateTgtSCO", "TGT0TrainData", "DateDataTRA", "HYPO_OUT_TEST_DATASET_TGT_1"*/
		_test = 1; 	
		_test2 = 1;
		i = 0;		
		j = 0;
		PUT 'in the function befor first loop';
		DO WHILE(_test);
			PUT 'in the first loop befor second loop';
			i + 1;
			DO WHILE(_test2);
				PUT 'in the socond loop ';
				j + 1;
				new_output_table 		= output_table;
				new_input_table_tgt1 	= input_table_tgt1;
				new_datetgt1 			= CATS(datetgt1, j);
				new_input_table_tgt0 	= input_table_tgt0;
				new_datetgt0 			= CATS(datetgt0, i);
				IF j = 1 THEN new_input_table_tgtALL = input_table_tgtALL;
				ELSE 
					DO;
					new_input_table_tgtALL	= CATS(output_table, TRANWRD(datetgt0, '.', '_')); 
					END;

IF SYMEXIST(new_datetgt1) = 1 AND SYMEXIST(new_datetgt0) = 1 THEN 
					DO;
					new_datetgt1 = CATS("&", datetgt1, j);
					new_datetgt0 = CATS("&", datetgt0, i);
					rc = RUN_MACRO('macro_create_train_datasets',new_output_table, new_input_table_tgt1, new_datetgt1, new_input_table_tgt0, new_datetgt0, new_input_table_tgtALL);
					END;
				ELSE IF SYMEXIST(new_datetgt1) = 0 AND SYMEXIST(new_datetgt0) = 1 THEN 
					DO;
					_test2 = 0;
					j = 0;
					END;
				ELSE 
					DO;
					_test = 0;
					_test2 = 0;
					END;
			END;
		END;
	RETURN ;
ENDSUB;
RUN;

Thank you! 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-25-2015 06:23 AM
Super User

Re: Infinite do-while loop

You only have one place where you address the value of _TEST. But in this code:

DO;
	_test2 = 0;
	j = 0;
END;

you set _test2 so that that the inner loop will stop but there is nothing for the outer loop test. So if you ever get into that condition you never get a chance to reset _test.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Frequent Contributor

This happen to me a time, it was because i use I and J as counters, but are not defined as local, so i rewritte at every call

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to arodriguez
Thank you for your quick reply. Would you be so kind and explain little bit more about the issue? Also could you propose specific solution?
Frequent Contributor

I don't know if it's your case, because I have never define a macro like this but, when insite a macro (in macro language) you use macro variables, a good practice is to define as local all your parameter, for example, in the case that you use I and J as counters, you should before use it, defined as local with
%local i j;

because other macro could use also I and J parameters. If they are not defined as local, all macros edit the same values I and J and could do that you don't exit of a loop.

Since PROC FCMP execute like in a DATA STEP, could be that the I variable and J are also used inside the macro that you call and overwrite the existing value of I and J. Try to rename the I and J to check if works

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to arodriguez
Thank you for additional explanation and help. I renamed all the counters and also logical (those i am using as boolean variables - _test, _test2) variables. Unfortunately it didn't work out. The same problem occured.
SAS Enterprise Guide got stuck as before. The process could not be stoped through GUI as before. I had to kill the process through ctrl+alt+delete process window as before.
Any other suggestions?
Solution
‎09-25-2015 06:23 AM
Super User

You only have one place where you address the value of _TEST. But in this code:

DO;
	_test2 = 0;
	j = 0;
END;

you set _test2 so that that the inner loop will stop but there is nothing for the outer loop test. So if you ever get into that condition you never get a chance to reset _test.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation