Import from SDF - my options?

New Contributor

Import from SDF - my options?

Hi every one Smiley Happy

I develop some software, that produces in some flows produces local database files. (".sdf" files)

My software also needs to create JMP reports based on those files. The "sdf" format is due to other requirements and should not be disputed at this time.

My idea was to programmatically create JSL file, that will have all required commands to create the report I need.

But, it appears that JMP doesn't support import of data from sdf file. Am I correct on this issue?

So, guys, assuming that I have sdf file about 180-250MB in size (almost all volume is actually in one table), what are the options you can advice to me?

Actually I have two that I was thinking about them, tell me what you think on those:

1) Write some module that translates sdf file to csv file, and then create jsl script, that will load the required table from this cs file.

2) Write JMP addin that will parse the sdf file and do the rest of required work. (wait... does JMP have API for addins?)

So, guys, I am really new to JMP, I think my thoughts are quite naive and may be even stupid at this point. That is why I am writing my post here.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Valued Guide

Re: Import from SDF - my options?

Had to search for the file type, http://www.fileextensioninfo.com/data-files.php

SQL Server Compact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  I assume it is this type of datafile and not the autodesk spatial one Gis realted.

Having it handled by SQL-server en then connect to the DBMS?

---->-- ja karman --<-----
New Contributor

Hi and thanks for reply

Yes, my sdf files I were talking about they are the files of SQLCE. I produce them.

"Having it handled by SQL-server en then connect to the DBMS?"

It is definitely an option to think of, but there is one thing I don't like about it - the requirement to have SQL server installed on the target machine.

Valued Guide

The DBMS and it schema usually refers to multiple tables. It is a DBMS

Converting impliesneed converting them all.

The SQL Server Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia --  specifically targeted for embedded and smaller-scale applications. Would possibly do. The old needed full version could be too difficult/costly.
The only challenge is installing it all (needing admin rights) but you are already giving something to install.  

New Contributor

"The DBMS and it schema usually refers to multiple tables. It is a DBMS

Converting implies need converting them all."

Actually my sdf file contains four tables. But to generate my JMP document I want to use only one of those tables. So, I don't need to convert four tables and some relations between them.

But anyway, installing SQLCE and using it is an interesting option, thanks for that! Let's say I decide to go this way. Is it possible to take some table from sdf file using installed SQLCE server by writing a JSL script?

I mean, you can write "... dt = Open("C:\tempFile.csv",.." in JSL script to get data table from CSV file. Can I do the same, assuming I have SQLCE installed and I have sdf file?

Valued Guide

Woudl check jmp docs.

A old one is: http://www.jmp.com/software/whitepapers/pdfs/102427_jmp_odbc.pdf 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation