Import and Append Multiple Files - Create a reporting system utilizing USER parameters

New User

Import and Append Multiple Files - Create a reporting system utilizing USER parameters

Hello All,

I am somewhat new to SAS. I am working on a project and am hoping to get some ideas and or instruction on how to best go about it.

I have several vendors that submit 4 files per month to me. I would like to create a SAS application that would import the files and then append each vendor's file as they are received. I want to keep each vendor's submission in a seperate file. Once the files are imported, I want anybody that access the application to be able to run a query that I will create utilizing a date parameter that they input.

I also would like to create a stored process (I think this would work) that would automatically search a particular directory and automatically import the files once they are downloaded.  Looking forward to reading your response!!

Super User

Re: Import and Append Multiple Files - Create a reporting system utilizing USER parameters

Your process seems relatively straightforward. Before trying to automate or standardize get the whole process working for hard coded data files. This way you can find out where all your issues are before automation, rather than trying to debug multiple things at once. Afterwards you can work on transitioning it to an automated script. 

Things to keep in mind:

• When importing your files - you don't mention if it's text or Excel, hopefully text - use a data step to make sure your data is always imported the same way. This isn't true when using Proc Import.
  • If you have WebReport Studio or another tool, you may have different options for a user setting a parameter and generating a report. EG also has some options. Or you can declare a macro parameter and execute your code in Base SAS or SAS Studio. 
  • Depending on where you download the files from this could also be incorporated into your process. 
  • SAS doesn't really support the idea of 'applications'. It's primary function is data management and analytics. So an application in SAS isn't an EXE file that users will be able to run. Generally, users require SAS to run queries anyways

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation