BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NKormanik
Barite | Level 11

I imported into SAS an Excel spreadsheet successfully.  SAS, however, decided to create a "name" for each column of data, in addition to maintaining "label" for each column.  The "labels" correctly correspond to column headings in the original Excel file.  The SAS "names," however, are different from these "labels" -- apparently converted to SAS-speak.

When it comes time to plot a graph, SAS wants me to use the "names" it created, as opposed to the "labels."

This gets really confusing.

Is there a way to use "labels" in a plot statement, as opposed to "names"?

Solution greatly appreciated.

Nicholas Kormanik

nkormanik@gmail.com

Code example using variable "names":

proc gcontour data=smoothed;

plot _0801*_1301=_05010

;

run;

quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AncaTilea
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Nicholas,

One way to "use" the labels instead of variable "name" is to rename you variables name with the label. For example:

/*below, using SQL you can write a snippet of code that basically translates to this:

name = label, and this statement will be repeated for all your variables */

proc sql;

select catt(name,"=", Label)

into: new_label separated by " "

from dictionary.columns

where libname = "WORK" & memname = "YOUR_DATA" ;*note the uppercase needs to be uppercase;

quit;

*you can now automatically rename all your variables to their correspondent label;

data want;

set YOUR_DATA;

rename &new_label.;

run;

HOWEVER

if your labels contain character like >, < {}...whatever special characters then you will need to tell SAS to replace those characters.

I learn that Regular Expressions (PRXchange) works wonderful.

Anyhow...

Best of luck!

Anca.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I imported into SAS an Excel spreadsheet successfully.

The answer to your question depends on how you did this import.

If you used PROC IMPORT, then you might want to turn on GETNAMES=YES; (although I thought it was the default). This should take the first row of the Excel spreadsheet and make it the SAS variable name.

If you used other methods for importing the spreadsheet, let us know, there is most likely a way to address this issue for other methods of importing.

--
Paige Miller
ChrisSelley
Calcite | Level 5

If your column headers contain blanks or are repeated or are too long then SAS has to change them into valid SAS variable names

e.g. COLUMN HEADER will become COLUMN_HEADER or TYPE used in 3 columns will result in 3 variables called TYPE, TYPE1 and TYPE2

I believe most procedures will by default use Labels rather than Names

ballardw
Super User

I believe the OP is wanting to use the label instead of variable name in the PLOT statement. Which generally is not going to work in any procedures.

I suspect the only way Nicholas will be perfectly satisfied would be to have Excel column headers that are also acceptable SAS variable names.

NKormanik
Barite | Level 11

Thanks ballardw.  Correct thinking.

After further searching for the answer..., the Excel column headers being imported into SAS can avoid the SAS-speak transformation if one uses the following prior to the import step:

options validvarname=any;

Using said option allows SAS to use pretty much whatever Excel column names one has -- including names with only numbers, names including spaces between words, etc.

After the import..., one can check the properties of the new SAS data file, and all the "names" should be identical to the "labels".

Then when it's time for the plotting step...  not entirely sure why, but it seems necessary to use the following form of code:

plot '20801'n * '21301'n = '50501'n

Simply using --- plot 20801 * 21301 = 50501 --- doesn't work.

Strange how SAS documentation generally blithely shows --- plot x * y = z.

Yeah, right.  Not that easy.

Thanks all.

Nicholas Kormanik

nkormanik@gmail.com

Reeza
Super User

How would SAS know that 20801 and 21301 aren't numbers but variables?

In some cases this is obvious and others not so much, ie is my_variable= other_variable but if the other_variable name is 20801 how would it know how to interpret that?

You can use the full descriptive names but then you're stuck using the literal notation, ie 'variable name'n.

Using labels instead is easier in my opinion.

NKormanik
Barite | Level 11

Excellent point, Reeza.

Please tell us how to use "labels" instead?  Especially if it's easier.  Sure hope so.

AncaTilea
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Nicholas,

One way to "use" the labels instead of variable "name" is to rename you variables name with the label. For example:

/*below, using SQL you can write a snippet of code that basically translates to this:

name = label, and this statement will be repeated for all your variables */

proc sql;

select catt(name,"=", Label)

into: new_label separated by " "

from dictionary.columns

where libname = "WORK" & memname = "YOUR_DATA" ;*note the uppercase needs to be uppercase;

quit;

*you can now automatically rename all your variables to their correspondent label;

data want;

set YOUR_DATA;

rename &new_label.;

run;

HOWEVER

if your labels contain character like >, < {}...whatever special characters then you will need to tell SAS to replace those characters.

I learn that Regular Expressions (PRXchange) works wonderful.

Anyhow...

Best of luck!

Anca.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation