BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
himalay
Calcite | Level 5

How to process multiple files through SAS simultaneously? Is there any special concept used for it?

Message was edited by: Himalay Sarma

11 REPLIES 11
art297
Opal | Level 21

You have to provide more details.  Some possibilities include submitting multiple batch jobs, simultaneously running multiple sessions, creating your own parallel processing driver, and some offers that SAS has as products.

himalay
Calcite | Level 5

I mean to say, suppose in a directory we have many files of different formats(viz. .sas, .txt) now i want to write a single program to execute these files at the same time, i want to print the time stamp in each files after the execution to get confirmed that they all run in the same time simultaneously.

AndrewHowell

How "same time" - literally simultaneously, sub-second, reasonably?

Would it be okay if each were read IMMEDIATELY after the previous one, until there are none left, or must they be loaded at precisely the same time? (If so, why?)

Reading multiple file formats is reasonably simple, so is applying a timestamp.

Just trying to understand the underlying requirement.

himalay
Calcite | Level 5

I was trying for the concept of executing many files simultaneously with SAS macro?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Still not clear what your requirements are.

But if you want to kick several SAS steps in parallel, take a look a the MP Connect concept (requires SAS/CONNECT software), and then get back with some more specific questions.

Data never sleeps
himalay
Calcite | Level 5

it is already cleared in my previous anwers.

himalay
Calcite | Level 5

you have to write a single program to execute multiple files simultaneously(execute means to do different modifications in different files, but program should bye same, hence macro you have to use). I dont know how to write it, so i am asking!

himalay
Calcite | Level 5

I mean to say, suppose in a directory we have many files of different formats(viz. .sas, .txt) now i want to write a single program to execute these files at the same time, i want to print the time stamp in each files after the execution to get confirmed that they all run in the same time simultaneously.

ballardw
Super User

And if the issue is reading a bunch of files into one working dataset or if each data set requires separate processing.

himalay
Calcite | Level 5

AndrewHowell

Can you be more specific about what "process multiple files in SAS at the same time" means? Is there a specific reason why you want concurrent processing? Also, please shed more light on your SAS infrastructure (client, server, etc, plus version numbers), which will highlight possibilities and/or constraints.

Regards,

Andrew.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation