BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jan1204
Calcite | Level 5

We have a problem loading datasets, with large text-fields, into SQL-Server using DI-Studio. By generating the tables in SQL-Server we use the datatype "varchar(max)'.

On the SAS-Library we use on the output-tables, we set 2 options:

• in "Advanced Options - Other options" the option "bulkload=yes".
  • in "Advanced Options - Input/Output"  maximum text length=32767.

The sas-metadata reads the varchar(max) from SQL-Server as $32767. So far it's OK.

By running the job the following error occurs:

ERROR: Error binding parameters: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Invalid field size for datatype

The combination of library-options mentioned above triggers this Error.

If we disable the bulkload-option, there will be no problem.

If we set the maximum text length =8000 there is also no problem. (Explanation of 8000: this is the default-value that SQL-Server reserver for varchar(max), if necessary SQL-Server will add some extra memory.)

What can we do to load this large character-fields with the bulkload option?

3 REPLIES 3
MumSquared
Calcite | Level 5

I understand your pain. I do not use the bulk load optionbut this is how I download large fields from the SQL server.

For tables with fields uner 32,767 characters I use the following macro; pass trhough query to download from a SQL database. For the field with 200,000 character I wrote code to determine the number of slices required and then generated the required pass through code to run. If anyone knows a better way I would love to here it - cause SAS support says the field has to be split. The way modern systems are produced this limitation is going to be an issue.

** macro to pull all the data from the table ;

%macro PullDataBig (outputdataset,tableName,DatasetLabel);

PROC SQL;

CONNECT TO ODBC AS ODBCConnection(NOPROMPT="UID=&GLB_USER;PSW=&GLB_PASSWORD;DSN=&GLB_DSN_NAME;SERVER=&GLB_IP;DATABASE=&GLB_DB"  dbmax_text=32767);

Create table &outputdataset (compress=binary label="&DatasetLabel") as

Select * from connection to ODBCConnection (

Select *

From &tableName

);

quit;

%mend;

milts
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi, did you manage to find a solution for this one? I'm currently having the same problem. 

If I remove the bulkload I guess it's gonna take very long to insert data when it's 100k+ or even million of records.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@milts

Please don't post new questions to old tracks but create a new question and reference the old track.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation