BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnaV
Calcite | Level 5

Hi.

I am new to SAS and I need to import several .csv files simultaneously into sas. I started the procedure using proc import but I have too many files to import then one by one. Here is what I did:

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.INSTOWN2000Q1

DATAFILE= "F:\SAS Institutional Ownership\46_q1_2000.csv"

DBMS=CSV REPLACE;

GETNAMES=YES;

DATAROW=2;

RUN;

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.INSTOWN2000Q2

DATAFILE= "F:\SAS Institutional Ownership\45_q2_2000.csv"

DBMS=CSV REPLACE;

GETNAMES=YES;

DATAROW=2;

RUN;

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.INSTOWN2000Q4

DATAFILE= "F:\SAS Institutional Ownership\43_q4_2000.csv"

DBMS=CSV REPLACE;

GETNAMES=YES;

DATAROW=2;

RUN;

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.INSTOWN2000Q3

DATAFILE= "F:\SAS Institutional Ownership\44_q3_2000.csv"

DBMS=CSV REPLACE;

GETNAMES=YES;

DATAROW=2;

RUN;

data instown2000;

set WORK.INSTOWN2000Q1 WORK.INSTOWN2000Q2 WORK.INSTOWN2000Q3 WORK.INSTOWN2000Q4;

shrout3=shrout1*1000000;

instown=shares/shrout3;

if shrout3=0 then delete;

if stkcdesc= 'COM'or stkcdesc='CMA' or stkcdesc='CMB' or stkcdesc='CMC' or stkcdesc=''  ;

run;

I have many more files in my "F:\SAS Institutional Ownership/ folder.

Thank you for your support

8 REPLIES 8
MS_Egyptian
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi AnaV,

As I know Till Now SAS didn't develop a technique to import several CSV files at once. but, you can use macro program to do that i.e.

%Macro ReadCSV (infile , outfile );

PROC IMPORT OUT= &ofile

DATAFILE= &infile

DBMS=CSV REPLACE;

GETNAMES=YES;

DATAROW=2;

RUN;

%Mend ReadCSV;

%ReadCSV("F:\SAS Institutional Ownership\46_q1_2000.csv", work.ofile1);

%ReadCSV( "F:\SAS Institutional Ownership\45_q2_2000.csv", work.ofile);

and so on for other files

also there is other advanced technique for reading all files from one folder at once - using macros also.

good luck

AxCo
Calcite | Level 5

Since my indexing loop skills are sketchy at best, I like this method. I just build my macro variables with a few keystrokes in a spreadsheet, copy and paste them into the macro you kindly provided, and (BAM!), 40, 80, 200 or so flat files imported in seconds. No errors.

Thanks so much!

Assessment Coordinator

Reeza
Super User

What indexing/looping? It's a wildcard reference with automatic looping.

AxCo
Calcite | Level 5

By indexing/looping, I referenced other macros I had worked with and/or tried to build, not this macro. In my comment I was trying to be emphatic that the reason why I liked the macro supplied by MS_Egyptian was the lack of such a feature.

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

If the files all have the same fields in the same order you can used the INPUT statement generated with a PROC IMPORT and use a wild card in the FILENAME.  You will also want to learn about the INFILE statement options EOV and FILENAME.

data ...;

length filename csvname $256;

retain csvname;

infile "F:\SAS Institutional Ownership\*.csv" eov=eov filename=filename lrecl=?;

if _n_ eq 1 or eov then do;

csvname = filename;

eov=0;

end;

input ....;

other statements possibly

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

All things considered, if all of your input files whereabout information is already in a table or a flat file or can be put into those files conveniently using OS commands, "Filevar=" in "Infile" statement will be another option.

Haikuo

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You do not want to be using PROC IMPORT for this project.  It will need to guess at what the columns represent.  You are better off writing a data step to read the CSV files.  You could recall the program the PROC IMPORT generated as a starting point if you want.

AxCo
Calcite | Level 5

I see what you mean. Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 7 in conversation