BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The SAS data step pre-dates the commercial implementation of SQL.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

As you are in learning approach.

The cartesian product is mathematical simple but can be for real execution a no go having bigger datasets.

Data Points: Five Ways to Rev up Your SQL Performance

For real big data problems there is move to NOSQL NoSQL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do we not have something there that is nosql?.... SAS datastep  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Hashing in SAS was added with SAS V9. SQL was already present in SAS V6.

NoSql is hyping today but with a closer look at that the same kind of technical approaches as in the time of the PC-XT.

The basic question is also the same:

"what to do when a simple logical approach is going beyond comfort-zone when trying to implement it". 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Brian_C_Brown
Calcite | Level 5

I think you could get a Cartesian product if you perform a MERGE using variables with one single common value for all rows in both datasets.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21
@Brian_C_Brown wrote:

I think you could get a Cartesian product if you perform a MERGE using variables with one single common value for all rows in both datasets.

@Brian_C_Brown

That won't work! And the reason why it won't work will explain the main difference between the outcome of a SQL join and a SAS data step merge. I suggest you give it a go with some sample data and code and then try to understand what happened - or come back here and ask the question.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 14 in conversation