How to find the maximum value in a variable through data steps without using loop, min and max fun.

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to find the maximum value in a variable through data steps without using loop, min and max fun.

data have;
input Name $ Age;
cards;
Jack 10
Joe 31
Tom 22
Roe 33
Rex 44
Tim 24
;

How to find the maximum value of AGE variable through data steps without using loop, min and max function.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎01-15-2018 04:27 AM
Super User

Re: How to find the maximum value in a variable through data steps without using loop, min and max f

Posted in reply to ajay_mishra

This is a commonly asked question when learning to program so it's within the realm of 'semi-decent' questions. It teaches you how information is carried across rows, conditional logic and how to identify the end of a file. There are automated ways, but often these basics are ignored. I suspect this is the answer your professor is looking for, since it's the most basic solution I can think of, besides the PROC SORT method.

Using the test data from @novinosrin, the approach outlined below works well. It matches his answer with the IFN so that's another viable option as well. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 5.35.08 PM.png

View solution in original post

All Replies
PROC Star

Re: How to find the maximum value in a variable through data steps without using loop, min and max f

You want to have "FUN" here? Hmm, I would like to learn from you. Do you know how to do it? If yes, please share. Thank you!

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to novinosrin

Actually, you interpret it wrong. Not using the inbuilt function max, min and loop.

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Why?

data have;
input Name $ Age;
cards;
Jack 10
Joe 31
Tom 22
Roe 33
Rex 44
Tim 24
;

proc sort;
	by descending age;
run;

data maxage;
	set have (obs= 1);
	drop name;
run;

The SAS System

Super User

Respected Advisor

Why avoid built-in procedures to do this? It makes no sense. It makes your life more difficult. A pointless restriction.

Unless it's a homework assignment, in which case you need to try it yourself, and ask questions when you get stuck. But it still makes no sense to do it this way.

--
Paige Miller
Super User

[ Edited ]

Does > and < logic count as max/min functions? Technically they're operators. And technically, the min/max function in a data step will not give you the min/max of a column without other logic.

ajay_mishra wrote:

data have;
input Name $ Age;
cards;
Jack 10
Joe 31
Tom 22
Roe 33
Rex 44
Tim 24
;

How to find the maximum value of AGE variable through data steps without using loop, min and max function.

Occasional Contributor

No. It will act as an operator.

PROC Star

[ Edited ]

data test;
input Name $ Age;
cards;
Jack 10
Joe 31
Tom 22
Roe 33
Rex 44
Tim 24
;

proc transpose data=test out=w;
var age;
run;

data wantt;
set w;
array c(*) col:;
call sortn(of c: );
keep col6;
run;

data wantt2;
set test end=last;
array a(100) _temporary_;
retain a;
a(_n_)=age;
if last then do; call sortn(of a(*));max=a(dim(a));output;end;
keep max;
run;

PROC Star

Posted in reply to novinosrin

One more:

data wantt3;
set test end=last;
retain max;
max=ifn(Age>max,age, max);
if last;
keep max;
run;

Trusted Advisor

I doubt if your class has gotten to hash objects, so here's a solution I'm sure is not contemplated by your instructor, but which satisfies the criteria.  I don't recommend submitting it:

data have;
input Name $ Age;
cards;
Jack 10
Joe 31
Tom 22
Roe 33
Rex 44
Tim 24
run;

data want;
  if 0 then set have;

declare hash h (dataset:"have",ordered:'D');
    h.definekey('age');
    h.definedata(all:'Y');
    h.definedone();
  declare hiter ih ('h');

ih.first();
run;
Solution
‎01-15-2018 04:27 AM
Super User

This is a commonly asked question when learning to program so it's within the realm of 'semi-decent' questions. It teaches you how information is carried across rows, conditional logic and how to identify the end of a file. There are automated ways, but often these basics are ignored. I suspect this is the answer your professor is looking for, since it's the most basic solution I can think of, besides the PROC SORT method.

Using the test data from @novinosrin, the approach outlined below works well. It matches his answer with the IFN so that's another viable option as well. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 5.35.08 PM.png

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 7 in conversation